DIY boats

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
zelph

Re: DIY boats

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:29 am

hoz wrote:On my decked sailing canoe I installed a "shelf" of stiff Leno mesh across the front of the cockpit about 3" below the deck. The front edge uses a bungee for some stretch. I store things I may need for the day there.

My cockpit is 5' long and 12" deep, this may not work in kayak .

Nice idea, I like!!!! :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:40 am

Holy cow hoz, you've got a decked sailing canoe :?: I want pics!! :!: :!: :!: !!!!1111!!!!11

hoz

Postby hoz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:00 pm

With the Batwing sail.Since changed to Balanced Lug rig.

Preliminary drawing sail rig.

There are a few pics in this essay of our 100 mile trip, Canadian Pukaskwa Coast of Lake Superior:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/out ... /index.htm

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Wow, way cool. Duckworks used to be a daily check for me, I had forgotten all about them. Thanks!!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Nice boat, Hoz. Great story of your adventure on Lake Superior. You may have been the last to talk to Herb and get a picture of him paddling out into the fog. Sad ending for a great adventurer. Thanks for sharing. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:43 pm

hoz wrote:On my decked sailing canoe I installed a "shelf" of stiff Leno mesh across the front of the cockpit about 3" below the deck. The front edge uses a bungee for some stretch. I store things I may need for the day there.

My cockpit is 5' long and 12" deep, this may not work in kayak .

this is done in kayaks as well.
my current production 'yak has 'Fastex' buckles moulded to the underside of the deck that will accept a 'Northwater' under-deck bag.
i've mounted padeyes on the underside of the deck for the same purpose on a few 'yaks that i have built.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 am

What are the advantages to using a Decked Canoe vs. a Kayak? Is it only cargo capacity or the amount of weight you can carry? This might be a good option for bigger folk like myself. Could you use a kayak paddle to propel yourself or would it be to awkward to manuever yourself? Wondering if I could build a Canayak? Any thoughts on this? :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

hoz

Postby hoz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:56 am

This is just my .02 on the matter Mahem, coming from a canoeist.

A canoe (decked or otherwise) is wider and deeper than a kayak, and has more volume. The paddler generally sits higher in the water and, do to the characteristics of the craft, uses a single blade. A canoeist using a double blade in a wide boat is not the most efficient way to paddle.

I have been involved in several spirited debates over the years on double vs single in a canoe. I do not want to get into an argument here. But I consider using a double blade in a canoe to be an aberration, an anomaly, and usually the first resort of an inexperienced paddler.

I spent 12 days on Lake Superior and besides my sail rig carried approximately 80 lbs of gear and food in two packs. Kayakers can do the same trip with more and smaller bags, less weight and in shorter time, though the kayak party that started the same day as us finished 5 hours after us.

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:45 am

I agree with hoz on double blade paddles being an aberration when used with canoes. Because the paddler sits so high in the boat and because the canoe is so much wider than a kayak, a paddle made for a kayak is usually too short. It will have to be held further from the body to clear the gunwales of the boat and dip further to hit the water. The only exception I might make is for a very short highly rockered canoe that does not track very well like the old town pack or some whitewater canoes. In most cases it is usually more efficient to use a proper canoe paddle and the proper J and C canoe strokes to keep the boat tracking straight. It's also a darn sight more elegant.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 am

i have to agree with Hoz and Mr. Krabs on the double paddle issue. double paddles are for kayaks. Rushton designed a small solo canoe that was called a 'double paddle canoe' and i built a modern version of one (called the "Wee Lassie") in cedar strip/epoxy construction. it was a terrible boat. slow and unstable. i also built a double paddle to try with a 15' Hiawatha canoe that i built. it made the boat go fast but it just felt 'wrong'. i'll stick with single blades for canoes and doubles for kayaks.

Pure Mahem wrote:What are the advantages to using a Decked Canoe vs. a Kayak? Is it only cargo capacity or the amount of weight you can carry? This might be a good option for bigger folk like myself. Could you use a kayak paddle to propel yourself or would it be to awkward to manuever yourself? Wondering if I could build a Canayak? Any thoughts on this? :mrgreen:

kayaks are faster.
canoes, decked or not, can carry more load.
there are a few older designs kicking around for free on the 'net of decked canoes and/or open cockpit kayaks that might suit you. if i can find them, i'll post links.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Water-Hiking”