Great Idea this forum!!!!

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15822
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Great idea Daren ;) I have lots of questions on basic stuff, like how do you get into one of those pencil like craft? Maybe when you get time, or it could be anyone that has the knowledge start a thread and give some basic info or links to sites that give the very basic on how to pilot one of these jewels.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:24 pm

zelph wrote:Great idea Daren ;) I have lots of questions on basic stuff, like how do you get into one of those pencil like craft? Maybe when you get time, or it could be anyone that has the knowledge start a thread and give some basic info or links to sites that give the very basic on how to pilot one of these jewels.


ask away my freind! :mrgreen:

getting into a kayak 101:
with just the very stern of the kayak on shore and the kayak at an angle to the beach, place one end of the paddle across the deck just aft of the cockpit, and the other end on shore. sit on the paddle blade and aft deck. place feet into the cockpit and, holding the paddle and cockpit rim in your hands, slide your butt into the seat. retrieve the paddle from behind you and you're off.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15822
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:53 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:Great idea Daren ;) I have lots of questions on basic stuff, like how do you get into one of those pencil like craft? Maybe when you get time, or it could be anyone that has the knowledge start a thread and give some basic info or links to sites that give the very basic on how to pilot one of these jewels.


ask away my freind! :mrgreen:

getting into a kayak 101:
with just the very stern of the kayak on shore and the kayak at an angle to the beach, place one end of the paddle across the deck just aft of the cockpit, and the other end on shore. sit on the paddle blade and aft deck. place feet into the cockpit and, holding the paddle and cockpit rim in your hands, slide your butt into the seat. retrieve the paddle from behind you and you're off.

Daren......


So your wet feet never touch the seat? Just a few drops of water get on the seat as your feet go over the seat and under the cockpit? So it's a dry entry for the most part?

Once your in the cockpit and afloat, how much has the craft lowered into the water by your weight?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:29 pm

yes. it's pretty much dry. and once you have your sprayskirt in place no water can enter the boat.

most ocean kayaks draw about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2" with just the weight of the paddler. the two low volume boats i posted pics of the other thread had about 1-1/2" of freeboard with me in them.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15822
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:07 pm

DarenN wrote:yes. it's pretty much dry. and once you have your sprayskirt in place no water can enter the boat.

most ocean kayaks draw about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2" with just the weight of the paddler. the two low volume boats i posted pics of the other thread had about 1-1/2" of freeboard with me in them.

Daren........


That's cool!!!

After you get all your gear in are you submerged :lol: :lol: Only the skirt showing :mrgreen:

Are the low volume models just for a few hours of cruising around, no over-nighters that require GEAR and groceries?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:12 pm

those low volume kayaks are what got me started down the dark path of weight reduction, (not me! my gear ;) )
there is no reason why i couldn't carry an extra 30-40 pounds, but no more than that.

Daren....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15822
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:16 pm

DarenN wrote:those low volume kayaks are what got me started down the dark path of weight reduction, (not me! my gear ;) )
there is no reason why i couldn't carry an extra 30-40 pounds, but no more than that.

Daren....


I take it you're on the slender size? To be able to slip into the cockpit.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:19 pm

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:those low volume kayaks are what got me started down the dark path of weight reduction, (not me! my gear ;) )
there is no reason why i couldn't carry an extra 30-40 pounds, but no more than that.

Daren....


I take it you're on the slender size? To be able to slip into the cockpit.


about average. 5'10", 175lbs.

.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15822
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 pm

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:those low volume kayaks are what got me started down the dark path of weight reduction, (not me! my gear ;) )
there is no reason why i couldn't carry an extra 30-40 pounds, but no more than that.

Daren....


I take it you're on the slender size? To be able to slip into the cockpit.


about average. 5'10", 175lbs.

.......


Right, an average slender kayaker.

I guess I'll have to stick to canoes. :mrgreen:

last summer I saw a couple of guys with what looked like 25 foot long pencils on the top of their vehicle. They were water craft of some type, any idea what they could have been called?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:43 pm

at that length i'd suspect they were "rowing shells".

.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast


Return to “Water-Hiking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests