Great Idea this forum!!!!

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Pure Mahem

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby Pure Mahem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 am

Can you SUPER SIZE that for a completely NOT SLENDER hiker? Say with gear 550 LBS. I've been kayaking before in one of those plastic rental thingys it was a lot of fun. Til you turn over even in the heat of july completely dry to upside down in cold river water is a shocking experience to say the least. But still very fun. I don't think I'ld tip over on a lake or pond there was a little bit of white water involved in the river to cause capsizing. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:36 am

By the way Daren you do some very beautiful craftsmenship those kayaks are exquisite!
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:12 am

Pure Mahem wrote:Can you SUPER SIZE that for a completely NOT SLENDER hiker? Say with gear 550 LBS.

there's company in Washington state called Pygmy Boats that sells kits for kayaks to people who want to build there own. they have a couple models that would probably suit a paddler of your stature.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:46 am

there's company in Washington state called Pygmy Boats that sells kits for kayaks to people who want to build there own. they have a couple models that would probably suit a paddler of your stature.

I resemble that remark :lol: I built this one with my wife and it is roomy. I'd build something a bit smaller now that the kids are teens and don't want to be seen with mom and dad. (Fewer seats but still large openings).

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:30 am

DaddyMnM wrote:

I resemble that remark :lol: I built this one with my wife and it is roomy. I'd build something a bit smaller now that the kids are teens and don't want to be seen with mom and dad. (Fewer seats but still large openings).

WOW....a 3 seater ! I did not know they even made those. Very nicely done DaddyMnM ! ;) Is that your home in the background ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:10 am

Is that your home in the background ?

No, it's my neighbor's across the street. I was standing in my driveway which is short and steep when I took the picture. My house is a bit more simple. Doesn't have those steeply gabled roof sections. Mine's a just little more plain. But I am uphill from him and can see the ridges of the Cascade mountains over his roof line from my bedroom windows.

In the picture, we were getting ready for the maiden voyage and the boat's not tied down yet. I improvised a rack with pipe insulation, a swimming noodle, with ties to all four bumper corners as well as across the midsection. I had less than a mile to drive for a put in and it was a local road, no highway. We have a better rack now that can carry two boats.

Believe it not, my wife has more hours into building this boat than I do. She'd never done woodworking before and found it fun. I did the more technical parts and rigging, what little there was, and we both glued, layed glass, and sanded. The panels come precut. You have to splice/glue the 8 foot sections together to make long ones. The kit comes with jigs to shape the cross sections as you build. You drill small holes and stitch the panels together with wire twists, staple to the jigs, and glue with epoxy as you go. You build the top and bottom seperately. Cover with expoxy and fiber glass inside and out, then glue the two halves together. We probably took longer than most, but we finished and definitely it was worth it.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:27 am

How long did it take you and your wife to build ? Was it a garage project ? As long as it is, could you still get a car in the garage ? :lol: Nice neighborhood. I grew up in suburbs and decided for the peace and quiet life of country living when it came time to build my home. Your sea kayak looks very sharp and I'm sure the is a great sense of pride and accomplishment in your results. Well Done ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Daren and Daddy, you've got talent and ambition!!!!! No doubt about it. ;)

Daren did your spouse help you out in the buiding process of your first yak?

Do all kayaks have rudders?

Are single ended paddles used with a three seater when fully occupied?

Are kayaks carried right side up or upside down when transporting by car?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Daren did your spouse help you out in the buiding process of your first yak?

no.

Do all kayaks have rudders?

no. (none of mine ever have.)

Are single ended paddles used with a three seater when fully occupied?

single bladed paddles are seldom used in kayaks. the exception is, historically, some ancient Alaskans (Aluets) paddled thier "Baidarkas" (kayaks) with single paddles.

Are kayaks carried right side up or upside down when transporting by car?

kayaks are seldom transported upside-down.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:28 pm

kayaks are seldom transported upside-down.
That would make sence. You could use them as a luggage carrier. I would guess that you could protect the inside from elements with the apron ?

Return to “Water-Hiking”