Great Idea this forum!!!!

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
DarenN

Re: Great Idea this forum!!!!

Postby DarenN » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
kayaks are seldom transported upside-down.
That would make sence. You could use them as a luggage carrier. I would guess that you could protect the inside from elements with the apron ?

i'm pretty sure you mean the sprayskirt. ;)
actually, we use a cockpit cover without the hole in the middle, just to keep the rain out.
the theory is that with to 'yak rightside up it cuts the wind-wash from the vehicle better. looks way cooler, too. 8-)
we don't pack gear in the kayak on the car. the tie-down points are too close together for the boats to handle the loads.

Daren........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:25 am

How long did it take you and your wife to build ? Was it a garage project ?

I lost one garage for 5 months. You really can't move the setup until it is done. We were pretty slow. You could finish this boat kit in a couple of weeks working evenings if it was your only project. Two kids and two jobs at the time made that a low priority. The boat is over 19ft long. It just fits hanging over the minivan with only an inch or two to spare. I am fortunate to have a deep garage. Last house I had to hang my double diagonally over two cars.

Nice neighborhood

It is a very nice neighborhood. We bought in early before kids, and before prices got crazy. We chose to live here because it is close to everything we do. I've been in this house 18 years now and have had 3 different jobs since then, but my commute has never been more than 12 miles. It 4 miles right now. The wife is no longer working for pay, the kids are in high school, but I am still working (I'm only 51). The wife want's to move out and find more space. The way home prices were going that might have been a necessity due to property tax increase. The economy has cooled some :roll: , so we have time to think about it, and the choices are improving. We'll probably get something with more land, less house, and fewer neighbors when the kids go to college.

Your sea kayak looks very sharp

In my case, the results are more a testament to how well designed the pygmy kit is. Anyone with good basic skills can complete one. Daren's boats require significantly more craftsmanship. Especially if they are his own design.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:55 am

if people keep talking about my 'craftsmanship' i may start to believe it. :mrgreen:

DMnM; you did a nice job on that Pygmy kit. i've seen a couple that have been done quite poorly. mostly due, i think, to the builders' not following instruction, or trying to out-think the designer.

when i build cedar strip kayaks i build from another designers plans cause i haven't learned the skills yet to design them myself. the skin-on-frames and stitch-and-glue boats are my own designs. i've built over a dozen boats over the last ten years.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Water-Hiking”