Fishing Gear

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
realityguy

Fishing Gear

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 pm

i love that fly reel! i've got a couple Hardy centerpin reels that always make me think about making one myself on the lathe.

Daren......

Yeah..one of the reasons I bought the old hamilton lathe I have..I was thinking about trying that.My reels I use the most are a couple disc drag ones the System 2 8/9 and an Orvis Battenkill 7/8, I think,Have some other lightones..nothing really older than 1980s anymore..I kind of quit fishing for trout but may do some this year in Olympic National Park above the lakes on the Elwah.They have some valley to valley hikes I might do..Elwah to Hoh or Soleduck.I'd have to make some kind of shooting head for this small spool or use maybe 15' line 2weight and dacron lightweight backing,small streams.I have a soft 4weight(?) 7' bamboo that might handle it nicely..whippy!...I also kept about a 4 weight pack rod and have a couple tiny pack spinning and baitcasting rods also. I know that's another area I may be selling a lot of equipment in..fishing/boats.I can't even hardly get to my tying desk for flies...unless I climb over a lot of stuff.
The precision on the reel..even the weight of the handle makes it turn by itself barely about 1/4 turn..against the fine clicker.Exposed spool so you can palm it..or thumb it for drag..it's really well made!
I can take the spanner nut off but for some reason the spool won't totally come off the post.The post does appear to be separate from the body and not a machined one as a portion of the actual bodybut maybe the body was machined for the bolt..like a one piece fit.The spool play when together is about 1/32"..spool on the shaft...When the nut is off,I can see down in the back and there is a brass gear back in there about 1/2" across,spool pulls out about 1/8".Clicker apepars to be a fine wire 90 degrees from the outside of the reel against the gear,clicks both directions..I can't see what holds the clicker in place.
More macros,Daren? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Re: Scores of the day!

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:16 pm

:lol: ..Appears we've been sleeping Daren..Looks like I'll have to build a new pack rod.. :lol:

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/micro.html
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:49 pm

realityguy wrote::lol: ..Appears we've been sleeping Daren..Looks like I'll have to build a new pack rod.. :lol:

http://www.jaustinforbes.com/micro.html

DAMN! that's a tiny system!! i don't know if i'd want to try that for a Kamloops Rainbow (think Steelhead but lake dwelling).

my 'goto' rig is a 10ft Sage RPL3 6 weight with a System 2 reel c/w 3 spools. i know, it's a bit long for small creeks but it roll casts like a dream to make up for it. ;) the three piece Sages aluminum rod case makes a great walking stick. the condition of the case testifies to this :D

i quit trying to tie flies several years ago, when my close vision started to fade. :( it's a good thing i tied a lot when i could! :lol:

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm still using the old Loomis IMX in a 7 for most of my steelhead fishing with the old system 2 reel I bought years ago when I was remodeling a flyfishing camp in Alaska for a few years..in june only..
I do shift to the 8 weight for "pounding puppies"(big ugly chums) and occasional kings that might be about.
That micro system is pretty cool!I do have an old graphite with boron ulralight I kept taking to alaska to see if I could break it on a 4-5 lb normal trout there.The problem is it's so whippy I couldn't even set the hook!That might get converted to one of those micro-beaner fishing system rods.I'll have to dig it out,check the reel seat arrangement..maybe even cut it off and shorten it that much..get some new guides and section it down to maybe 3 pieces for packing.I'll have to check my pack sets also to see how whippy they are..might already have something that would work.
I know I have two weight lines.I make most of my own steelhead ones using different length heads and a light two weight or so level floater for a main running line..getting line length about 120'(I don't like hanging on to my backing..think you understand that!)
I really don't feel like spending $300+ for a mini flyrod..pretty cool though!

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:18 pm

i stopped fishing the salmon/steelhead runs up here. too many people, too little room. it's hard to get away from it all and relax when the entire city is out there with you. :(
i got serious about hiking into small lakes and rivers up in the mountains, where i can get some peace and quiet. and trout. :D

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 pm

The only river I fish around here is the North Fork of The Stilliguamish..For most of the year it's flyfishing only and nice and quiet.You can get large portions of the river to yourself..but December through about march,they open it up to the baitboys..I don't fish then.The main hole I fish by myself or one or two people in the summertime becomes a leadslinging frenzy with 30-40 guys in a 100 ft slot..No thanks!I've gotten some nice fish in that river but am hounded by a pox of not being able to get any steelhead in over 12lbs.I either break them off,they throw the hook,or I just don't catch them some days.
The biggest salmon I've caught in that small river was right around 35lbs.This opne in the picture was about 20..with the seven weight...same river down strweam about a mile from the larger fish.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:36 pm

Those salmon are easy to catch, even a bear can catch them with their hands. No challenge :roll:

Super nice find on that precision reel. I'm beggining to dislike you :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 pm

zelph wrote:Those salmon are easy to catch, even a bear can catch them with their hands. No challenge :roll:

Super nice find on that precision reel. I'm beggining to dislike you :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's why we just let them go... :lol:

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:38 pm

i have always liked watching people fly fishing. i would like to try it but i dont know anyone that does it. is it hard to learn?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:17 am

Not really hard..just takes practice more than anything.A person can practice on grass in the yard but a stream is always better.There are a lot of books on the subject..lessons are better,at least to understand the casting theory and the reaction of the line on where you place it,how you cast it,etc....
It's more interesting to catch something on a fly(lure) that you created yourself..Like DIY camping gear...it may not be the best and easiest way to catch fish; but you'll enjoy it more because you created it..not Billy-Joe-Bob Bassmaster...

Return to “Water-Hiking”