Fishing Gear

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Ridgerunner

Re: Fishing Gear

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 09, 2009 10:30 pm

I know we've discussed the pen poles before but i don't remember getting any test results. I'm curious how far it will cast using your minicast diawa reel and how well it will work with a fly reel and light fly. The other question is; do you think it would hold up to a 3-5lb. fish ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 09, 2009 11:28 pm

I tried it with the reel that came with it..using their 1/4ounce practice plug. The thing will cast about 40' max when the twisted up line stops it from going any farther.The smaller inside spool keeps the line pretty kinked up.When it hits that 40' limit it drops like a stone!It reels okay but feels like it isn't going to last too long.The Daiwa..won't work.The reel seat is too wide for the smaller rod reel seat.because I have a packtrod for the daiwa it came with,I'm reluctant to carve it down to fit.Would it work better?..I can't tell you, but it probably would.
I wouldn't trust the pole/reel combo with anything larger than a 14" trout,bluegill,crappy,or other smaller fish.I think a 3-5 lb trout would be a problem.
In the past,I found the largest problem with a super ultralight pole to be just sinking the hook into the jaw of a large fish.I used to take a small graphite with boron spinning rod to Alaska with me,just to see if I could break it on the normal 4-5lb+ trout in the Alagnak River...Never could get the hook in the jaw right because the spinning pole would be bent over double right down to the butt just trying to set the hook.I'm assuming the same thing might happen with this small pole or the collapsing sections may fail or pop apart from the stress.A small fish of that 15" size could be reeled in with the casting reel but I wouldn't count on it for much more than that.There is a LOT of plastic on the reel.
I'm only looking at using this thing in smaller streams where the largest trout may be about 12" and a rare one at 16".I do have about 50' of backing on the reel and would play a larger fish awhile to wear him out if I got into anything large...
I put the small flyreel on the pole and can cast with it.I can get a 30-40' cast and a half decent presentation of a fly on the water.The weight factor of 120 grams for the entire package and it's extremely small size makes it worthwhile to haul along on every trip where fishing is possible.I can pack it in the bottom of a fanny pack on a day hike.
The guides are extremely small "holewise",barely larger than the coated flyline!..which also causes problems with line flowing through the guides.Keep in mind with flyfishing for trout,the line isn't really going through the guides.The reel is more just for storage of the line "enroute" to the fishing spot and the actual fishing will be more by "hand manipulation" of the line "outside the pole and guides".The bent pole can be used for keeping the hook embedded and that's about it.Most trout are brought in/"dragged" by stripping line through your fingers rather than using the reel.This would be the case with this reel and pole combo for me.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 pm

Replace the tip eye with a 1" id one.Use only one eye on the rod.

Use 2 lb super limp hi visibility line.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 11, 2009 10:36 pm

It's fine as a flyrod..I'm not running lione through the guides except with a fish on the end.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat May 16, 2009 10:32 am

check out this fishing machine! we were talking about carts to haul kayaks on and off the ferries and such, and a fellow paddler posted pics of his fishing Sit-On-Top rig.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat May 16, 2009 10:54 am

Where's his downrigger and depth finder? :o

:lol:

Oops..never mind..I see he has the depthfinder..reason for the battery..well..he could at least hook up a minnkota since he has the battery on board already... :mrgreen:

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sat May 16, 2009 12:08 pm

Get one of those 2-1/2 foot long pink Barbie Rods....Those are proven. :D

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1186067.html
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/100/story/49535.html
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 16, 2009 11:12 pm

Get one of those 2-1/2 foot long pink Barbie Rods....Those are proven.

Great story Vibe!!! I got to get me one :mrgreen: I got a barbie tent for one of my cats :DB: Now I have to find the photo!!! :?

Man, that's an odd looking catfish :o

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 19, 2009 7:57 am

My type of kayak ! All the bells and whistles. Multi purpose ! Thanks for the pic Daren.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Can't help but think the boat turning over and the guy not being able to upright it because of the battery making it top heavy all rods going to the deep six.

Reminds me of a Hummer on water :lol:

If someone offered me one I'd say yes 8-)

Yesirree, thanks for the photos Daren. Once in a lifetime shot of the rich and famous :mrgreen:

He's got a trolling motor stashed somewhere in there. ;) The battery's not just for the sonar ;)

Return to “Water-Hiking”