April Trip

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
DarenN

April Trip

Postby DarenN » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am

i had a chance to get out for a kayaking trip in April. after the first day i started having camera trouble, but i got a few pics.

transportation in the parking lot for the night.

the accomodations.

the view.

across the strait is Stewart Island, the most northwesterly island of Washington State.

i forget the proper name of this little fellow. they're known as "Hen-and-Chicks".

the parking lot at a gathering of local kayakers.

hanging out at the gathering.

that's me in the denim cap, giving a demo of my wood stove.

overall it was a great trip. calm seas, warm, sunny days, but cold nights. down to freezing temps actually.
our second night we had a big feast of fresh Pacific Oysters, breaded and fried. on our last night we ate our fill of fresh caught crabs.
my dehydrated chili was a big hit at the potluck dinner on saturday night at the gathering.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Re: April Trip

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:42 am

Really nice photos Daren, thank you!!!! Cant' get away from "parking Lots" eh :D

Is the "group" all from your local area? Do you all meet at the Ferry and ferry over together?

Are there any sandy beaches? Are certain people chosen before hand to be the "fishermen" and the cooks :D

Glad to hear your chili was a sucess and hope you were able to sell a stove or two. I sure do like the design of it.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm

looks like you had a great time. those pics make me want to get out to the water again. the most i do though is a small two person pond boat on the lake with a buddy and we camp on the islands. i think the boat has a 14hp motor on it. i may have to give a little more thought to the kayak thing again once i get back in the swing of things again. there are three rivers within a 15 miles of me and im sure i could have some fun. im glad you got out and had some fun.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:42 pm

zelph wrote:Really nice photos Daren, thank you!!!! Cant' get away from "parking Lots" eh :D
Is the "group" all from your local area? Do you all meet at the Ferry and ferry over together?
Are there any sandy beaches? Are certain people chosen before hand to be the "fishermen" and the cooks :D
Glad to hear your chili was a sucess and hope you were able to sell a stove or two. I sure do like the design of it.

thanks Zelph.
"the Group" is a loosely organized collection of sea kayakers, whitewater kayakers, and even a few canoeists, that are mostly from the West Coast of Canada, with a sprinkling of Washington folks thrown in. on this trip we had four people make the trip from Kelowna, BC. and two came up from Linwood WA; RG's stomping ground. last year a fellow came all the way from Austria. he couldn't make it this year. :mrgreen:

no. everyone has their own schedule. ie: this year five of us met and road over on the same ferry, but three went one way and my paddling buddy and i went a totally different direction. it's every paddler for they-own-self. even my buddy and i rarely plan for meals together. we always pack as though we are traveling solo. that said, we had a nice dinner on the first night of fire-grilled pork chops and re-hydrated rice. the chops were packed frozen with my beers and were barely thawed by the time we made camp.

there are sandy beaches, but they are few and far between. mostly it's crushed shell and tiny rocks.

as far as fishing goes; its everyone for they selves. most kayakers don't even bother trying. i'm different, me. :lol: ;)

Daren........

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm glad you had a good trip Daren. Nice pics. Do you every troll a line while you are paddling ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Ridgerunner wrote: Do you every troll a line while you are paddling ?

yes. it's not very productive though. most of the time we're just paddleing from A to B and stopping at the 'little rocks' along the way. lots of deep water, like, 700+ feet. when i fish i try to target smaller bottom fish of the smaller varieties. i got into it with a big salmon once. after he dragged me halfway to japan, i cut him off, and said "catch ya later". ;) rock cod and greenlings are easy targets. tasty too! :D i'm going to build a handline that i can cast with. it'll keep the decks a bit cleaner.

russb

Postby russb » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Nice pics. Looks like a great trip. So what ya got hanging under that MacCat tarp?

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:24 pm

russb wrote:Nice pics. Looks like a great trip. So what ya got hanging under that MacCat tarp?

the tarp is a Hennessy Hammocks "Hex Fly". under it is the HH newest. the Hyperlight Backpacker. the susspension line is 1/8" spectra! :o i was shocked when i compared it to my buddies HH Safari Deluxe hanging on 1/2" line. what i really like about the hex fly is that i can pull one (or both) sides out nearly horizontal so i have a dry place to cook, or whatever, if it rains. this is not feasable with the standard fly. the DIY tarp snubbers worked like a charm! :D

Daren........

russb

Postby russb » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Ah, a Hennessy fan. Sorry I misidentified the tarp as an OES. My current setup is a Claytor Hammock and depending on the season either a JRB 8x8 or a Campmor 8x10. I am probably going to get a JRB 10x11 or a Speer WinterTarp next.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:32 pm

"FAN" assumes "fanatic" and that isn't me. i'll use what works well. if i buy something and find i don't like it, i replace it. i hold no loyalties to any particular brand. after this past weekend trip i may ditch the HH and go back to ground based camping. with the temps going down to freezing at night i was cold. even in a bag that is rated to freezing and with a light under-quilt (DIY), and fully clothed. JRB's under-quilt might be better, but at the cost of weight and volume. at present my HH with tarp and under-quilt in a compression bag takes up less than one cubic foot and is about three pounds.

Daren..........

Return to “Water-Hiking”