April Trip

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Ridgerunner

Re: April Trip

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 pm

Daren, do you use a sleeping pad besides your underquilt? Did you know any of the other kayakes other than your friend? I bet there were a few people who wanted that stove after seeing the demo? great little woodburner ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri May 01, 2009 8:03 am

no sleeping pad. it's one of the reasons i went to the hammock. one less thing to carry. i knew quite a few of the folks at the gathering from earlier. many copies of my stove were in attendance. :D

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 01, 2009 9:40 am

after this past weekend trip i may ditch the HH and go back to ground based camping. with the temps going down to freezing at night i was cold. even in a bag that is rated to freezing and with a light under-quilt (DIY), and fully clothed.

Thanks for your insight on this aspect of a hamock hanging. Will you continue to use it a few more times before deciding to go to ground?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri May 01, 2009 10:40 am

zelph wrote: Will you continue to use it a few more times before deciding to go to ground?

yes, i'll keep using the hammock. i like it a lot. very comfy. i just need to get a better sleeping bag. i'm looking at a -10*C down bag that will pack the same size, and weighs the same, as my 0*C poly bag. if the colder nights are still a problem i'll go back to ground in the shoulder seasons and hang in the trees in the summer. i really don't want to go back to hauling a tent and sleeping pad at 8 1/2 pounds as opposed to 3 pounds for the hammock, hexfly, and underquilt.

Daren.....

russb

Postby russb » Fri May 01, 2009 11:32 am

DarenN wrote:"FAN" assumes "fanatic" and that isn't me. i'll use what works well. if i buy something and find i don't like it, i replace it. i hold no loyalties to any particular brand. after this past weekend trip i may ditch the HH and go back to ground based camping. with the temps going down to freezing at night i was cold. even in a bag that is rated to freezing and with a light under-quilt (DIY), and fully clothed. JRB's under-quilt might be better, but at the cost of weight and volume. at present my HH with tarp and under-quilt in a compression bag takes up less than one cubic foot and is about three pounds.

Daren..........

I understand. I, too, hold no loyalties. I am impressed by the quality of all the cottage industry hammock and supply manufacturers. Most seem to have a nice relationship with each other too, as seen at hf.net.

My low temp was -7*F this past winter with 20mph winds. Below freezing I need a pad, an underquilt just won't cut it. I also rig my poncho as a weather shield below the hammock. With just the ponch I am good to the 50's. Add a car sunshade and I am good to the high 30's. From there and below I need to add additional ccf pads. The claytor hammock has a pad sleeve, so a pad isn't an issue like on other hammocks. They are bulkier, but weigh much less than uqs with similar warmth. btw I am ducttape over at hf.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri May 01, 2009 11:58 am

geeze! :o -7*F = -22*C. :o that's some cold.

i've got one of those car sun shields. forgot all about it. once i have the UQ suspension nailed down, i'll see if i can make the sun sheild stay put between the UQ and the hammock.

russb

Postby russb » Fri May 01, 2009 2:41 pm

yeah -7*F was lower than my previous record by 12* and I was still incredibly warm. I know I am good to at least -15*. My insulation from top down:

tarp
mosquito netting
TNF Solar Flare down sleeping bag top
me
botton of sleeping bag
hammock polyester layer
sunshade
full length (wide) 3/8 ccf from walmart (has dimples in it)
shoulder to butt length ccf 3/8 in
bottom layer of hammock
poncho weather shield

It looks like a lot and it is, but sub zero F is no laughing matter.

When I get home I will provide the weights of each item.

tarp: 14.9oz
hammock: 31oz
TNF sleeping bag: 70oz
sunshade: 10.1oz
full length ccf: 15oz
1/2 length ccf: 6.4oz
poncho:13oz

total: 160.5oz (basically 10lbs)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Just so you know,Daren..It's "Lynnwood"..I was waving at ya..didn't you see me? :o :mrgreen:

However...I might have been a tad farther west than you by the sound of it(across from Victoria or so)..Looks like it was a good trip!Mmm..Rockfish fillets on the Bar-B!Now you're talkin'.... :DB:
I would think a nice stout minipole about 3-4ft long might be perfect..buzzbombs or a few rubber leadheaded jigs is all you need for gear...
I have a heavier breakdown rod that uses a levelwind like a steelhead reel,with a baitcasting reel seat..that would probably be a good combo for what you need. Daiwa makes it.I can post pics.The pole breaks down to sections about 15" long,good for fish up to maybe 6-8lbs..Do a google on "Daiwa packing baitcaster" or "Daiwa bass packrod"..sorry.I don't have a model number for the kit.The box itself is pretty big but the rod in an abs or pvc homemade tube and reel would be pretty small and indestructible.That would be skookum enough for a healthy 5-6lb rockfish,cabezon or greenling. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon May 04, 2009 8:50 pm

i have a very cheap 6ft baitcasting rod that telescopes into itself; with a nice Zebco Quantum levelwinder on it. it's fed me lots of dinners! :mrgreen:

BuzzBombs rule for small bottom fish!

Daren........

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 pm

BuzzBombs rule for small bottom fish!The rubber tails can get you into trouble sometimes with 4' lings.. :mrgreen:

Always done best with BBs in 3-4"(mostly 4") wide pearl or pink pearl around here.When current is running, go to the skinny ones...even occasional salmon to 10 lbs(green for silvers)!What's nice is they store well without hooks,easy to set up,easy to use..and WORK!I've had better luck with those than the Point Wilson Darts.(This is info for others that may have a chance to fish for the same..)
Sounds like you are set up okay.. ;) How do you store your rockfish while in the kayak?..just curious..figure you must drag a floating net on a tether,right?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Water-Hiking”