Carter's lake trip this weekend/ now Coosa Backcountry Trail

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Mister Krabs

Carter's lake trip this weekend/ now Coosa Backcountry Trail

Postby Mister Krabs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 pm

I was originally going to go hiking in the Cohutta wilderness, but my buddy who is going with me wants beer camping, and that means that we'll break out the cooler and the Old Town.

We're keeping it local and heading up to Carter's lake, a sweet army corps lake about an hour and a half away in North Georgia. Carter's lake was created in the 60's by the flooding of the Coosawatee river valley, the true location of James Dickey's fictional Coosalahatchee river in his book Deliverance. With only one marina and no houses or docks due to the Army Corps 100 yard setback, There are great uninterrupted views and it's fairly quiet, just a couple of bass boats buzzing by. I've been going there for years on a long ago recommendation from a guy in the paddling dept at REI. It's one of my favorite spots close to home.

We're going to base camp on the boat in only campground and explore the lake from there. It's 12 secluded spots out on a peninsula that can only be reached from the lake side. Sites include a 14x14 tent pad, a picnic table, food/lantern hanger, and a fire ring with a grill. Each site has a trash can too, no need to pack it out all the empty beer cans! :DP:
No services except a couple of outhouses.
Best of all, there's no charge. I've never been there when more than two sites out of 12 were occupied, and I've been there a bunch.

Some Lake Facts:
Carters Lake embraces a spectacular tract of foothills scenery in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia. Its sparkling waters and rugged shoreline provide a beautiful surrounding for a variety of recreational opportunities which include camping, fishing, picnicking, boating, mountain biking and hunting.

Carters Lake has 3200 surface acres

Carters Lake is more than 450 feet deep

Carters Dam is the tallest earthen dam east of Mississippi river

Carters Lake shoreline has no private docks or development along 62 miles of natural shoreline

I highly recommend Carter's Lake as a destination for water hiking, and I'll try to get some pics up when I get back.
Last edited by Mister Krabs on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Re: Carter's lake trip this weekend.

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Wow, fantastic place. Do you enter from the south at the marina? Can you get to a boat dock from the North?

Sounds like you'll be heading into a fun time. Looks like an awesome place to fish, shoreline looks great, lots of little bays, lunker territory. :D

Stay clear of the Coosawatee / Coosalahatchee river area. You never know what you might find in them thar wooded areas. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Beautiful sunset pic there MK. Enjoy yourself, eat good, catch fish, have fun, and be safe !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:59 pm

zelph wrote:Wow, fantastic place. Do you enter from the south at the marina? Can you get to a boat dock from the North?

Sounds like you'll be heading into a fun time. Looks like an awesome place to fish, shoreline looks great, lots of little bays, lunker territory. :D

Stay clear of the Coosawatee / Coosalahatchee river area. You never know what you might find in them thar wooded areas. :mrgreen:

We'll be entering on the peninsula south of the dam, but NW of the marina. It's a super short paddle across the lake from there, maybe 15 minutes. The only docks are at the marina and a small one at each of the boat ramps for loading. I think there are 5 or more ramps, I've used most of them.

We'll set up camp, crack a couple of beers for lunch, catch a nap after and throw some latex at the fish in the afternoon. I bet we'll spend the whole weekend in the one branch north of the campground. Ambitions are low even though I know where they put the fish attractors. :DB:

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:04 pm

Forgot to mention that this is the one "big boys only" trip that I take all year. Last year was a couple of days on the Chattooga river trail, another great one. I Love taking my son, but it's nice to be *truly* free of responsibility, even for just a day.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:51 am

I bet we'll spend the whole weekend in the one branch north of the campground. Ambitions are low even though I know where they put the fish attractors.

AhhhHuhhh!!!!!! that must be one of the best places on the lake. No need to go elsewhere. The best lures are latex :o All we have to do now is go there and catch-em :D

but it's nice to be *truly* free of responsibility, even for just a day.

I'm in agreement with that!!! I need a week of those :lol:

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:56 pm

BAH!

My friend suddenly bailed on me. Second guy to bail on this trip.

Oh well, this way I can go up to mountain crossings and buy a new backpack. Then over to lake winfield scott for a solo overnight loop on the AT or something.

edit: gonna do the coosa backcountry trail instead, it's just up the road from MC and is a 13 mile loop instead of 6.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:BAH!

My friend suddenly bailed on me. Second guy to bail on this trip.

Oh well, this way I can go up to mountain crossings and buy a new backpack. Then over to lake winfield scott for a solo overnight loop on the AT or something.

edit: gonna do the coosa backcountry trail instead, it's just up the road from MC and is a 13 mile loop instead of 6.

Whenever you get up to mountain crossings ask them if they have any "Ring Of Fire" stoves left over. If they do, tell them I said it was ok to let you have all of them. Take a hard copy of this post as proof :D I sent them a few(10) to try out.

It's a bummer that they bailed out on ya. The fish will be there waiting for you next time around. ;)

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:51 pm

zelph wrote:Whenever you get up to mountain crossings ask them if they have any "Ring Of Fire" stoves left over. If they do, tell them I said it was ok to let you have all of them. Take a hard copy of this post as proof :D I sent them a few(10) to try out.

It's a bummer that they bailed out on ya. The fish will be there waiting for you next time around. ;)

Will do, it will be saturday morning. I'll let you know what they say.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:22 pm

There is nothing more frustrating when people bail on a commited adventure, especially at the last moment. Sometimes things can't be helped and other times it's a lesson learned. Enjoy your hike MK. Like Zelph said, those fish will be waiting for you the next time around. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Water-Hiking”