June Solo Kayak Trip.

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
DarenN

Re: June Solo Kayak Trip.

Postby DarenN » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

zelph wrote:Roy, we teach the man to use alcohol stoves and what does he use to cook his meals, wood and a canister stove. :mrgreen:

Daren, terrific photos!!!! Thanks a million, very inspiring.

Did you go over and bother the biologists like they asked? :D
Interesting archeology info about the chell /sand formation created by the ancient inhabitants of the island. I was surprised that the island could support the small deer.

When do you use your DIY wood paddler or has it been deemed too nice to use :D

my go to stove on this trip was a Snow Peak GS100. i also had my remote canister DIY stove, and of course the MK1 woodstove. useing the GS100 almost exclusively was a test of efficiency in the field, and ease of use. canister stoves are the easiest stoves to use, hands down. Tony's pal Roger posted some info somewhere about canister stoves being the most weight efficient system on long hikes. Tony's own testing also showed this. i used 165 grams of fuel over six days/five nights = 27.5 grams per day. on three occasions the stove ran for about a half hour. i'd say that's pretty damned efficient!

yes i did bother the biologists. ;) :lol: middle aged men should talk with pretty college girls as often as possible. helps us stay young. :mrgreen:
they've been doing this research for about four years now and i've always chatted with them about their work. it's odd that it's always girls. it seems that college boys don't want to spend months on end living in a tent. this year brought a whole new crew. for the previous three years the lead researcher was a girl named Elspeth, whom a came to be freinds with. she liked blueberry bagels, so i always carried a few out with me. the new girls didn't know her, but thought she may have graduated.

if i ever get the woodstrip kayak finished i will most certainly use it for these trips. i don't build boats to be furniture. i build them to use them.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:32 pm

if i ever get the woodstrip kayak finished i will most certainly use it for these trips. i don't build boats to be furniture. i build them to use them.

Hmm...sounds like you wanna use it to pick up college chicks... :mrgreen: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 pm

realityguy wrote:

no. that's why i want a brass candle lantern. :mrgreen: :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:08 pm

DarenN wrote:
realityguy wrote:

no. that's why i want a brass candle lantern. :mrgreen: :lol:

You don't need a brass candle lantern to pick up pretty college co-eds. You need a couple of brass......oh, never mind! :roll: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 pm

You don't need a brass candle lantern to pick up pretty college co-eds. You need a couple of brass......oh, never mind! :roll: :lol:

That might be the problem..don't those sink kayaks? :o

:lol:

That brass lantern must be working..sold some polaroid film today to a sweetheart from France off of craigslist!..excuse me while I go rub my.............................................. magic lamp! :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:15 pm

ILMAO, don't know where to start :lol: :lol:

the lead researcher was a girl named Elspeth, whom a came to be freinds with. she liked blueberry bagels, so i always carried a few out with me. the new girls didn't know her,

I'll be nice :D I won't touch this one :o

RealityGuy, where did you pick up the polaroid film? I won't comment on the french connection. :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:46 pm

polaroid film..when I come across it(usually a buck or two) I stock up until I have a bunch ..then stick it up on ebay(not any more) or elsewhere...Most I ever got for a couple packs was $65..and the lady wanted overnight shipping,and paid overnight..came to about $105 to LA..something about someone's birthday party the next night...okay..twisted my arm! :mrgreen:
7 packs took about 6 months to 'gather'.I have another sx70 one and I think a couple of another (3-1/4x4-1/4..gotta check my film freezer) kind.That was 2 doubles and 3 singles packs of 600...

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:00 am

ok. youse guys win! i give up on trying to keep topics 'on topic' around here. :mrgreen:

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:11 am

its a loosing battle darren. look at the twinkie thread. :lol:
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:44 am

I don't know..someone brought up college girls..and it all went downhill from there.. :mrgreen:

Return to “Water-Hiking”