June Solo Kayak Trip.

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
zelph

Re: June Solo Kayak Trip.

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 am

Tony's pal Roger posted some info somewhere about canister stoves being the most weight efficient system on long hikes. Tony's own testing also showed this. i used 165 grams of fuel over six days/five nights = 27.5 grams per day. on three occasions the stove ran for about a half hour. i'd say that's pretty damned efficient!

All that may be true but most of us can't make our own canister stove. :D Just think, we go into a pristine area, the only thing we hear is the sounds of nature and our footsteps. Then comes time to have something to eat at the end of a long days trek. all of a sudden!!! Rhoooarrrrrrrrrr, my pocket rocket ignites and it's the only thing I can here until the water has boiled. :mrgreen: Later we want a hot drink before retiring for the evening again the roar of the rocket talks to us while we wait. I'ts not for me. Give me the snap crackle pop of the campfire and then the quite sound of the alcohol stove. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:44 am

I think Daren's using it to bring back a little of that city noise..just a little too quiet for him with the repetitive lapping of the waves on the shore and the noisy squirtin' of clams. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:52 am

On the other hand..no muss,no fuss..push the button,turn the valve and cook.On a short trip by yourself I can understand it.You get 23-1/2 hours of that solitude and lack of noise.What's a half hour of cooking per day over a roaring canister stove when you could spend some of that saved cooking/prep time doing other monotonous things like exploring other coves,beaches,and islands..or nibbled on by deer(or college girls).The time out there is precious..do what it takes to maximize it!You're forgiven,Daren! :mrgreen:
Now get back to work! :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:32 pm

doing other monotonous things like exploring other coves,beaches,and islands..or nibbled on by deer(or college girls).

My thoughts exactly RG. Three cooking systems should impress a biologist or two ! :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:31 pm

I kept a Micron and a Peak One canister lantern and may do the same thing sometime.Daren took the static so I shouldn't have to now. :mrgreen:

He never did tell us if the new ones liked his blueberry muffins... :roll: .. :lol:

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:49 pm

realityguy wrote:I kept a Micron and a Peak One canister lantern and may do the same thing sometime.Daren took the static so I shouldn't have to now. :mrgreen:

He never did tell us if the new ones liked his blueberry muffins... :roll: .. :lol:

i still may buy one of those canister lanterns just out of curiousity.

as soon as i found out that Elspeth was gone, i ate the bagels myself. ;)

re: camera trouble. i just ordered an underwater housing from Canon for my A720-IS. i won't be having any more wet camera issues.

Daren...
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:28 pm

At $1.29 on sale day..it was pretty hard to pass up,appears unused with a new mantle in it.I do have another one but it's minus the top plate.I just took another look at the pieces one..Century Primus and fits a standard propane bottle...but the glass maybe the same size..oh well..parts..
The Peak 1 weighs in at about 8 ounces..but it's a convenience if you are already packing canisters. ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:48 pm

realityguy wrote:

At $1.29 on sale day..it was pretty hard to pass up,appears unused with a new mantle in it.I do have another one but it's minus the top plate.I just took another look at the pieces one..Century Primus and fits a standard propane bottle...but the glass maybe the same size..oh well..parts..
The Peak 1 weighs in at about 8 ounces..but it's a convenience if you are already packing canisters. ;)

Keep in mind the larnerns consume fuel more rapidly than the stoves. I will have to post a pic of one of mine that found on ebay years ago on the cheap. I believe it is called "ying-yang" :lol: :lol: If your yaking, you have more room for extra tanks.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Ridgerunner wrote: yaking, you have more room for extra tanks.

is that the reason that i keep downsizing my kit? ;) :lol:

last week i kept track of some numbers.
by the end of the trip, i could average 4 knots for over three hours (GPS). that's 4.6 MPH. faster than walking, the interesting thing is that the boat alone weighs fifty pounds. add my kit and paddling gear and you're closing in on a hundred pounds, plus my weight and you're closing in on 300lbs! where a through hiker carrying a thirty pound pack will make 15-20miles in a day, i'll make the same distance in less than five hours. i like walking too so i ain't saying nothing with this. it's just interesting to look at the numbers from different types of trips. i always carry a day pack and will often load up lunch and hike whatever island i happen to be on. instead of paddling around it, i'll walk around it's edge. i enjoy these day hikes just as much as paddling.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:53 pm

Those are interesting numbers. You should always carry some extra bagles in your day pack, you might meet/make a friend. :D

All your weight must be in your upper body(muscle mass)
Keep on trekkin!!!! :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Water-Hiking”