Cool Video

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
DarenN

Re: Cool Video

Postby DarenN » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:50 pm

car's loaded. see you all in a week.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

texron

Postby texron » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:01 pm

DarenN wrote:car's loaded. see you all in a week.

Put up some vids as soon as you're back, be careful and have FUN!!!!

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:06 pm

He's off and having fun :D He's camped on one of the islands as I type. having crab for dinner with eggs no doubt :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:22 am

after about 1/2 hour of lazy paddling, up and down the swells, i was more than one nautical mile out to sea. I can't describe the feeling of complete solitude i felt. no sound but what i made, and that, very muted. no visual keys to anything at all. i felt very close to nature just then.

I've been in a similar situation in dense fog on the sound..only off Possession Bar,the south end of Whidbey Island.It's weird with an outboard because the noise covers tankers,tugboats,and other fishermen that may be headed for your boat and not know it...but it can happen.Fortunately I had a depthfinder(it can drop from 100 to 600' in about 20 seconds meaning you're lost if that is all you have..But I had a loran also.Straight lines back in don't count..since you'll run into shore on the island.You need to plot a couple points to get around that.Shutting down the motor is eerie,especially with running tides watching the bottom depth change swiftly.There are a couple underwater coves(100'to 300-400' drops and back up in a 1/4 mile) that need to be crossed by dead reckoning also.If you don't know the bottom yopu are in real trouble out there!
I had a friend that years ago headed straight out there from shore using "dead reckoning" as his only compass.The only thing he wrecked was his boat on a raft of logs as he plowed into it and ended up riding in the fog 10 miles north because no one on the tug towing it knew he and his friend were there.. :lol:
It could have been worse..he might have run into the tug's ROPE towing the raft of logs. :o If the rope didn't flip him and drown him,the raft of logs coming up would have...
Some people have an extreme lack of common sense... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:23 am

Log rafts, how long/wide do they make them. Must be pretty long that the guys could'nt yell out to the tug to let them know they were hitching a ride and wanted to come aboard :lol:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Water-Hiking”