Beginner

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Image
texron
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Beginner

Postby texron » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:27 pm

DarenN wrote:
texron wrote: Thanks for the great answer, I would LOVE to move back to Oregon, maybe someday. Is there a particular brand that I should look for? Will I be able to find a kayak with all the features you mentioned above? it's been a LONG time since I looked at them. I don't remember "thigh hooks". What are they?
Thanks for all your help, I need it.


i don't know what brands you're going to find in your area. one highly thought of plastic kayak is the Current Designs Sirocco:

http://www.cdkayak.com/products/templat ... 8305515ed4

if you look at the pics in the link you will see the thigh hooks protruding into the cockpit openning towards the forward end. this kayak also has a deployable skeg. with the actuater on the side of the deck beside you, you can deploy the skeg to aid in tracking. helpful in quartering seas.


it should be a nice Kayak for $1,550...a little steep for me to see if I'll enjoy the sport. If I could find it for 50% of that... :DB: :DP:

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Beginner

Postby DarenN » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:11 pm

texron wrote:
DarenN wrote:
texron wrote: Thanks for the great answer, I would LOVE to move back to Oregon, maybe someday. Is there a particular brand that I should look for? Will I be able to find a kayak with all the features you mentioned above? it's been a LONG time since I looked at them. I don't remember "thigh hooks". What are they?
Thanks for all your help, I need it.


i don't know what brands you're going to find in your area. one highly thought of plastic kayak is the Current Designs Sirocco:

http://www.cdkayak.com/products/templat ... 8305515ed4

if you look at the pics in the link you will see the thigh hooks protruding into the cockpit openning towards the forward end. this kayak also has a deployable skeg. with the actuater on the side of the deck beside you, you can deploy the skeg to aid in tracking. helpful in quartering seas.


it should be a nice Kayak for $1,550...a little steep for me to see if I'll enjoy the sport. If I could find it for 50% of that.


i bought a used one last year for $300 off craigslist......sorry about the sticker shock, but my fiberglass Necky Chatham 18 goes for $3000 new.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

texron
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Beginner

Postby texron » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:17 pm

[

i don't know what brands you're going to find in your area. one highly thought of plastic kayak is the Current Designs Sirocco:

http://www.cdkayak.com/products/templat ... 8305515ed4

if you look at the pics in the link you will see the thigh hooks protruding into the cockpit openning towards the forward end. this kayak also has a deployable skeg. with the actuater on the side of the deck beside you, you can deploy the skeg to aid in tracking. helpful in quartering seas.[/quote]

it should be a nice Kayak for $1,550...a little steep for me to see if I'll enjoy the sport. If I could find it for 50% of that.[/quote]

i bought a used one last year for $300 off craigslist......sorry about the sticker shock, but my fiberglass Necky Chatham 18 goes for $3000 new.[/quote]

I just checked craiglist, not much there right now. Probably not a lot of Kayakers here in North Texas :) Ebay doesn't have naything either. there should be a used kayak/Canoe website.

realityguy
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Re: Beginner

Postby realityguy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:22 pm

:lol: Texron..you better run up here to buy one..Seattle's craigs has three pages listed in a search for "kayak"..but I might have trouble finding a saddle... :lol: I imagine Portland has about the same amount.. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

texron
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Beginner

Postby texron » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:27 pm

realityguy wrote::lol: Texron..you better run up here to buy one..Seattle's craigs has three pages listed in a search for "kayak"..but I might have trouble finding a saddle... :lol: I imagine Portland has about the same amount.. ;)


Or, since texas is such a nicer place. You could buy one for me and then bring it down here to try the lakes in Texas.....I don't think anyone really buys that but I thought I'd give it a shot :lol: I really do hope to come back to the NW someday. I was laid off in September so I decided God had plans for me and I went back to school. I'm currently studying to be a special education teacher. I have 2 more years to my degree. My wife is a RN. So I'm thinking we SHOULD be able to find jobs just about anywhere we want. Affording to live anywhere we want is another matter ;) Unless things have changed, Portland and Seatlle are somewhat cost prohibitive in regards to the housing market. my 2200sqft house brand new here in TX cost $165,000. We saw homes half that size and 20 years old in Portland going for $400,000 . but, teachers are really well paid..oh wait..........Sure is different being back in school at the tender age of 49.

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Beginner

Postby DarenN » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Tex; you're a braver man than i. we're the same age and i can't imagine going to school again.

i keep an eye on craigslist both locally and seatle/tacoma/portland. the deals on really good kayaks are increadible south of the 49th! up here in Canada people seem to think they can get new retail for a used boat.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

texron
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: Beginner

Postby texron » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:56 pm

DarenN wrote:Tex; you're a braver man than i. we're the same age and i can't imagine going to school again.

i keep an eye on craigslist both locally and seatle/tacoma/portland. the deals on really good kayaks are increadible south of the 49th! up here in Canada people seem to think they can get new retail for a used boat.

Daren.......


Thanks, neither could I but now that I'm back at it, not so bad. Balancing the family and homework is the tough part. My 13 year old boy thinks it's pretty cool that his old man can pull A's and B's. just hope this economy changes and I can find a job when I get out. :DB:
Pick-ups hold their price here in TX. everyone drives one, and they have rifles mounted in the rear window lest you forget everyone's packing here. Not a lot of road rage here.

realityguy
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:20 am
Location: slightly north of Seattle,WA

Re: Beginner

Postby realityguy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Pick-ups hold their price here in TX. everyone drives one, and they have rifles mounted in the rear window lest you forget everyone's packing here. Not a lot of road rage here.


Everyone is packing here also but most of the time it's a cellphone..we DO get a lot of road rage..for good reason :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15751
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Beginner

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Last I heard New York state was best for deer and then texas came in second and then PA third. Is it still that way?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5256
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Beginner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:57 am

zelph wrote:Last I heard New York state was best for deer and then texas came in second and then PA third. Is it still that way?


I can't picture NY even being in the top 5. Texas is definitely towards the top and maybe the very top when it comes to antler size. Penn, Ohio, Iowa, and I would think Illinois would be ahead of NY. Now you go me thinking. i will research and get back on that one.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !


Return to “Water-Hiking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests