Interesting pack rod!

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
realityguy

Interesting pack rod!

Postby realityguy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 am

Found this yesterday..for $2 with the reel ..at a thrift store.The reel isn't worth using but the rod would be nice for bottom fishing out of kayaks(hint,Daren!),surf fishing the coast(myself),or catching catfish,bass,and bluegills of all sizes(Dan-man!).This pole is solid stainless steel with the loops actually formed in the rod itself..33-1/2" long with a full baitcasting handle and 23-1/2" of stainless rod..called a Swede Stainless Stik.It sounds like they were sold through walmart a few years ago so there may be some out there in the used world(thrift stores,craigs,ebay..)There are some threads about them.(google)
The pole itself weighs 7-1/2oz.The only weak link might be the small piece that holds the reel down that could be remade out of aluminum or something other than plastic.This one still works but I don't think I'd count on that piece for long.
Anyway,I figure I can team it up with a quality baitcasting reel and battle demons of the deep out surffishing the coast..or at least yank out some beaner trout for dinner some day from some high mountain lake.

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: Interesting pack rod!

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Looks like a rod used over the side of a boat using heavy jigs. Lake trout are found down around 80 - 100 feet in summer months in Canadian waters. Not for casting.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:21 pm

back around Christmas time i picked up a Zebco telescopic spinning rod/reel combo. it's a 5 foot rod that collapses to 16.5 inches. i didn't like the reel so i put my Shimano TX-110 Plus on the rod. it's a compact setup that will handle the smaller bottom fish i target, as well as be a good shore casting rig.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:28 pm

I have a vintage stainless steel rod with stainless eyes wrapped with copper wire and soldered. The rod is made of square stock and tapered to the tip. Watched my father used it when I was just a little lad. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Water-Hiking”