Hand-built canoe plans

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
ConnieD

Hand-built canoe plans

Postby ConnieD » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:13 pm

http://www.northwestcanoe.com/canoes.html

Free canoe plans.

Here are stories for reading while building the canoe: see also the links at the bottom.

zelph

Re: Hand-built canoe plans

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:18 pm

A quote from "Flying in Paddling out"

This was a big horseshoe shaped lake with an east and west half, connected at the north. We entered at the south end, paddled all the way north, turned the corner, and paddle all the way south, in a blistering hot headwind. It was so hot. It was so windly. It ripped the moisture right out of us. We drank water constantly. I didn’t know it, but we were losing electrolytes fast. Sodium, Potassium , Lithium, whatever.

We crawled down the lake in the teeth of this wind to the south of the lake, as close to the portage as we could, and landed on the last island, as wretched a spot as we’d been to and hauled out. It was weird. The wind was howling, it was 36 degrees C, the bugs were awful: sand flies, they don’t care if it is hot and sunny, not like mosquitoes who at least wait for dusk. They bite you all the time. They look like houseflies but they bite like Horseflies. And they don’t give up. You end up slapping yourself silly. We took what cover we could from the wind and heat and sun and bugs and waited. Waited for whatever came next.

Well, an hour before dusk the wind died. Good. Then it got somewhat cooler. We paddled with just us, no gear, to the south shore to locate the portage for the next morning. A big sign " Obukuwin Portage". Great. We walked the first push, not bad, took fifteen minutes across. We came back and paddled to camp.

Our plan was to get up and hit the portages early, before it got too hot , and paddle the rest of the way at ease. There were three long portages ahead of us 900 m., 1250 m., and 2500m., but we were moving strong and , " How bad can it get?"

Pretty Bad
We got back to camp and were driven into the tent by the bugs right away. We were tired but relaxed, bracing ourselves for the next day. We knew it was going to be difficult but felt confident in our ability. I sat up reading by the fading light and the Comm dozed. There were flashes of light off to the south. We sat and watched as the darkness took over. More flashes. There was a big thunderstorm way south of us. " I think it’ll pass by", we both agreed, as these flashes erupted. It was the biggest light show I’d ever seen. This went on for an hour, getting brighter and closer.

Then a flash of light and an immediate blast of thunder to our left, then a whooshing sound to the south; it was the wind crossing this previously calm lake right at us. Like a Freight Train it hit us. We got out in a blinding rain to put the fly on the tent, got back in and were hit by a hammer that flattened the tent. I was awed at how fragile our shelter was; our shelter that we took for granted as safe and secure. Flattened. I sat up against the wall to hold it up. The wind raged and the rain pummeled us. Things in camp blew around. Lightening hit a tree on our island but the forest couldn’t catch fire because it was raining so hard. We ran outside in the storm to tie down the canoe to some trees and ran back into the tent. It was a soggy film of nylon lying on our faces as the wind tried to blow us off this miserable chunk of rock. This went on for hours. I sat against the wall of the tent holding it up, silently reciting Mantra. The Comm was lying down, doing his mantra. Any mantra in a storm. I thought we might die here. Any of those lightening strikes could hit us. I often reflect upon enlightenment. Maybe this was the Quick Path. I gave up and laid down on my damp bed. It was already getting light before I got any sleep.

At 6:00 A.M. with sandpaper behind my eyes we got up and surveyed the camp. Everything was blown around but nothing was blown away. A cup of Miracle Drink and off.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:52 pm

I haven't had any experiences like that.

I wear a Bug-Me-Not Head Net.

I slather exposed skin with sunscreen-moisturizer. I use a sunscreen Lip Balm.

I have a Platypus water bladder.

I don't "tent" in strong winds. I bivouac.

I mean really, zelph!

Look at the pictures at DarenN's June Solo Kayak Trip idyllic campsite and cove.

nice.

Look at the canoe plans, they are beautiful.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:49 am

Lucky Daren, gets all the good stuff. Daren and you have the good life. Single, carefree always on the go. :o 8-) Stick realityguy in there also, he's not single but fits the rest of the good life qualities. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Water-Hiking”