Sevylor Colorado canoe

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
zelph

Re: Sevylor Colorado canoe

Postby zelph » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm totally glad that both of you have recuperated and are back to somewhat normal life. Both are getting older and wiser ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:31 pm

DarenN wrote:
Bfinnigan wrote: Eventually at a certain point I will need a synthetic disk.

i got two this past spring. (C6-C7). woke up one morning with a paralized arm. no warning at all. the surgury was a snap. i was released from the hospital 24 hours after i went under the knife. that said; my neighbor had a discectomy on his lower back. he was off work for a lot longer than i was.

That's some scary stuff to deal with. Wondering if it was a stroke until finding out it was acute nerve impingement. Glad the new disks are working out and hope they continue to. We don't have a third option yet.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Bfinnigan wrote:I had a degenerative L4,5 disk but I had several spinal steroid epidurals over two years. I also started using high doses of multi-spectrum amino acids and the back has been doing great for almost two years now. Our joints will heal and regenerate but we have to give them the building blocks. Age and poor diet shorts us out of amino acids. We eat the proteins but we don't do a good job of breaking them down into aminos that our cells utilize.

So I did my homework and research and it seems to be working good. It took well over six months but I stayed committed to it. Eventually at a certain point I will need a synthetic disk. My goal is to put that off as long as possible.

Epidurals didn't work for me nor did the radiofrequency ablation. I'm limited to a few hundred yards of walking now and a few minutes of standing. I'd sure like to hear more about these multi-spectrum amino acids and diet. Do you have any links?

I'm slowly destroying my right knee since I can't trust my left leg anymore (seeing the surgeon this friday :x ). I recently read about some physical therapists who've had luck with modified treadmills to support the back. This way you can get a good workout and weight loss.

lol, how'd we get so far off topic?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:54 pm

Sudden, start using the canoe to transport yourself so you can get out into the wilds. Use the shorelines to get a fisheyes view of what goes on along the shores. Excercise in your local indoor swimming pool to get in shape for setting up the canoe. :D Get into water hiking. Swimming pool exercises might be the way to go.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Now....don't go blaming this one on cat-herders... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:24 pm

realityguy wrote:

Now....don't go blaming this one on cat-herders... :lol:

lol

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Topic migration is perfectly OK with me. Sudden, any searches on the net about amino acid supplements will give you some good start info. I used a joint building powder that's about $11 a can which is just under a months supply. It mixes in juice to cover the off flavor. The powder is hydrolyzed gelatin. Hydrolyzed is a nice word for pre-digested. It also has MSM, glucosamine. A lot of people take glucosamine but don't take anywhere enough and don't have enough stomach acid to break it down properly.

Amino acids are the building blocks for collagen which is found in all of our connective tissue including bones. But as we age our stomach acids and enzymes get weaker. We eat lots of protein but it has to be broken down for cells to absorb and use. So we can supplement our digestive enzymes and we can use highly absorbable aminos to get around poor digestion and not giving the joints the raw materials they need to regenerate.

Our fingernails are a good external gauge as to the health of our joints. They are essentially the same tissue. So as you are using the different joint formulas you can watch your fingernails and even hair to see if you are getting enough. That will be apparent long before any pain reduction is experienced. The big challenge is to make the commitment to do it at least six months. Joint degeneration happens over a long period of time so the repair is not going to happen over night.

But amino acids are not medications that have side effects or toxicities. People with shellfish allergies will have to alter the type of aminos they use. It may not work for some that have very severe joint degeneration or have complicating factors like rheumatoid arthritis.

But it's cheap, easy and requires no doctor prescriptions. It either works or it doesn't. I use NOW Foods "Joint Support Powder" from Iherb.com. And also doubled the dosage of one scoop to two. Once again this is refined food not medicine/chemicals. I don't have any financial interest in the product or distributor. But they have given me a bunch of $5 off coupons that I could send you. I can't use them myself so I just give them away.

There is a bit more to the story but the research started a long time ago with pig farmers. The boars would get premature joint degeneration and get to the point they could not do their reproductive duties. Farmers started feeding them gelatin which comes from pig and cow joints and hooves. It did help the boars and then women in the early 50's started using gelatin to make their nails shinier and healthier looking.

So for most people it's worth a try but must be viewed as a journey and not a 10 day antibiotic program. We can be very impatient but your nails will be a good encouragement for you to keep going.

This is the best deal as far as I have found and I still use it but in smaller quantities just to keep my disk and all other joints as healthy as possible.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Joint-Support-Powder-11-oz-312-g/660?at=0

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks for sharing the link and the background info. I'm not looking for a cure but knowing there is something more I could be doing is a good thing. I think the local GNC carries some of the "new" products but probably at a higher price.

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:16 am

The ingredients are very similar however the processing and formulations can affect how well the absorb. I did by an amino mix at GNC and found out it had sucralose after opening it.

I consider my continued use of it as an efficient management but could end up with problems if I stop. So it can't be a cure perse'. The steroidal epidurals kept the inflammation down enough to allow for better healing. Healing is compromised when inflammation is present.

We can cut or bruise a finger and it will heal. But if we cut and bruised it a couple times a week in the same spot it would never heal due to continued inflammation. Our disks and joints are stressed (micro injured) every day so once inflammation happens it's tough to stop it and maybe get some rebuilding (healing).

I hope you can get some benefit from it. And it's a safe and cheap process making it very low risk to try.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 am

I think I can benefit from using that product also. Thanks for all the good information on it :D

Return to “Water-Hiking”