Next year I'm water hiking

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
zelph

Next year I'm water hiking

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:19 am

While on my recent 10 day campout I scored a great deal on a canoe at a country garage sale. I'll have some photos of my score soon. I got the canoe, new deep cycle marine battery with solar charger, 2 cordura swivel seats and 2 floatation cushions. Price 360.00 I passed on the trolling motor that was offered with it because I had my own. Visit the mfg. site to see what it looks like and some specks. Mine is the green color without a pattern.

http://www.riverridgecustomcanoes.com/sportsman.htm
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Re: Next year I'm water hiking

Postby sudden » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Nice score. Nice looking design. Just don't fall out like I do :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:18 pm

I thought about buying a canoe once or twice lately but it would be hard to hide one more boat from the wife.She's already looking at the 4 I have as a potential storage problem...Looks like you got a good deal!Are you sure it wasn't one of them used in "Deliverance"? Did the previous owner play a banjo as he sold it to you? :Did it come with a waterlogged geetar? :shock:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:11 am

I'll strap myself to the seat :shock:

The guy I bought it from once owned a suvival school and had a website. Website is still up and now has new owners. I'll have to look in my notes for the name of it. The guy is going light weight and going to do wildlife photography.

I was too busy today putting on leveling jacks on my camper. Maybe I'll get some photos of it tomorrow.I need to buy a paddle for it.

sudden

Postby sudden » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:59 am

Maybe a kayak paddle would work. I've seen people using them in canoes before.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Let's see..Looking around my boat storage area..2-3-4 sets of oars..fiberglass touring kayak paddle..several sevylor breakdown sets of paddles..nope..no canoe paddles today..sorry.Maybe if I do an archaeological dig in THAT corner for a couple days... :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Nice looking canoe. Reminds me of the native american birch bark canoes in the movies. Did yours have the sportsmans accessory package with the rod holders?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice looking canoe. Reminds me of the native american birch bark canoes in the movies. Did yours have the sportsmans accessory package with the rod holders?

Did you hear that, RG has no paddles :mrgreen: He is slacking off on his gatherings :lol:

No other goodies with it except the battery storage container that I had not mentioned.

I don't forsee me getting on the water with it this year. I'll install a heavy duty pulley lift in my garage to hoist it up and out of the way for the winter. Nah!!!! don't have time for that, just put it under a canvas tarp that I purchased at the same garage sale for $15.00 I'll put it up on a set of saw horses and then cover it. During the winter months I'll search for a transom mount wheel for transporting it to waters edge when I'm out solo.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Did you hear that, RG has no paddles :mrgreen: He is slacking off on his gatherings :lol:

No..I said I didn't see any..doesn't mean they aren't there. :lol:

I thought I might have bought an aluminum one that breaks down(like a half kayak paddle with a snap in cross handle)..now you got me looking for a transom wheel thingee..geesh! :roll:

Are you looking for yakima racks for the car? what # gutter mount clip?

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:07 pm

[quote="realityguy

now you got me looking for a transom wheel thingee..geesh! :roll:

?[/quote]

I'm going to haul the canoe on my small aluminum camping trailer. It's about 4.5 feet in height. Lay it flat and use 2 ratchet type hold down straps to secure it.

Let me know when you find the transom wheely thing :D That will be a big help. I have a two wheel luggage thingy that I can modify :o I'll do a search on ebay ;)

Return to “Water-Hiking”