VIDEO: The Deam

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Arson

VIDEO: The Deam

Postby Arson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:14 pm

This is my first post here, and I'm very excited to have found this forum. I thought I would start out by posting a video of my last adventure. With all the equipment I brought it may not "look" light, but for kayak camping, it is....

sudden

Re: VIDEO: The Deam

Postby sudden » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Nice video. I have to send the link to my son. He is just starting out with the kayak camping and I know he will enjoy watching it.

I linked this site before but here it is again in case you weren't aware of these guys. I bet they would enjoy the story and video as much as I did.
http://www.canoestories.com/
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:01 pm

Nice vid Arson and welcome aboard ;) I remember hiking the Adventure Hiking Trail in Indiana during a very warm week in August. Water was scarce(nonexistant) and we never made it to our cache that we stashed as the heat and chiggars took their toll on two oldtimers. I tried to tell Stumpjumper(my hiking partner) that spring of fall would be better but hey, what do I know. We would have given anything to have been on a kayak camping trip instead :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:33 am

Thank you Arson for sharing your adventure with us. Makes me want to pack it up and head south :D

Im not able to listen to the video, so bear with me when I ask questions :)

What made you go to the ground instead of hanging in your hammock? Your youtube name indicates you are a hammockhanger.

I like burning wood for meals and fun :D You looked relaxed and enjoying your camp.

I recently purchased a conoe for next years maiden attemp at water hiking. I came across a thread on the use of a kayak paddle in a canoe. Have you any insight on that subject? Also, how does one choose the length of paddle, wether it be for kayak or canoe?

Glad to have you here and thanks again for the water adventure.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Arson

Postby Arson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:10 pm

zelph wrote:Thank you Arson for sharing your adventure with us. Makes me want to pack it up and head south :D

Im not able to listen to the video, so bear with me when I ask questions :)

What made you go to the ground instead of hanging in your hammock? Your youtube name indicates you are a hammockhanger.

I like burning wood for meals and fun :D You looked relaxed and enjoying your camp.

I recently purchased a conoe for next years maiden attemp at water hiking. I came across a thread on the use of a kayak paddle in a canoe. Have you any insight on that subject? Also, how does one choose the length of paddle, wether it be for kayak or canoe?

Glad to have you here and thanks again for the water adventure.

I do have a couple of hammocks, but I'm finding it hard to sleep in them for very long due to poor circulation in my legs and that I am a side and belly sleeper. When I'm in a hammock I'm very comfortable, but with my feet above my heart after a while my legs fall asleep. Then, when I start to fall alsleep I want to roll around and I can't, so I stay awake. I love them for days hikes because I can relax for a while at lunch.
I have used a kids canoe paddle in my kayak because my boat is so close to the waterline, but not the other way around. I've owned a canoe, but have always used a canoe paddle for it. Sorry I don't have more to say on the subject.
Sizing a kayak paddle is usually based on the "type" of kayaking you'll be doing. Whitewater= shorter, and touring= longer. For a kayak paddle in a canoe I would error on the long side since you'll be sitting higher if you use the seats. Go to an outdoor shop and have them set a canoe up on a platform or benches, then get in it and pretend your paddling; making sure the blade goes down below the pretend waterline.
Try several different types and sizes until you find the one for you. DON'T look at the price tag until you've found the one you like. The most expensive one isn't usually the best, and if you stay away from the pricey ones then you limit yourself on finding the right one for you. If you can't afford it..... save up. You'll have it for life, and will save you money in the long run.
NRS has a sizing chart based on height, but I personally would decide the length based on my boat.

I like burning wood too even though in the past I have gotten some grief from people saying I'm "scarring the land".

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Go to an outdoor shop and have them set a canoe up on a platform or benches, then get in it and pretend your paddling; making sure the blade goes down below the pretend waterline.
Try several different types and sizes until you find the one for you. DON'T look at the price tag until you've found the one you like. The most expensive one isn't usually the best, and if you stay away from the pricey ones then you limit yourself on finding the right one for you. If you can't afford it..... save up. You'll have it for life, and will save you money in the long run.
NRS has a sizing chart based on height, but I personally would decide the length based on my boat.

I like burning wood too even though in the past I have gotten some grief from people saying I'm "scarring the land".

All good advice, thank you!!!

They are not scars, they are beauty marks :mrgreen: My boot makes them disappear very easily :D The charcoal helps filter out the nasties of the earthlings. ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Water-Hiking”