DIY canoe/kayak cart

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Ridgerunner

DIY canoe/kayak cart

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 26, 2012 11:03 pm

I found an inexpensive canoe cart project on the internet and made my version of it. :geek: Zelph, you are on the clock :P :lol: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Re: DIY canoe/kayak cart

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun May 27, 2012 12:07 am

Now just figure out a way to help hold the front up too.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 am

Easy, just put the cart in the middle and you just have to steer :D Imagine hooking a powerful remote controlled jeep(just gave one away) to the milk crate for hands free operation. :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon May 28, 2012 1:39 am

Nice cart but I was surprised to see that your canoe has registration numbers. Is it because you can mount a motor?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 28, 2012 6:38 am

Laws in Ohio must be different. It had to be registered but not titled. I think if it is 14 ft or longer it requires registration.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Why he was asking,RR..
http://www.boat.wa.gov/regulations.asp

Notice ours have changed to exempt boats under 16' on "non-federal"(most lakes and rivers..not interconnected with Puget Sound,federal park waters)and canoes, kayaks,(or10hp or less).
Also.. I can ROW or PADDLE a nonregistered boat on federal waters..but I can't sail or motor it..Gotta ding those 1000s of sailboats for $$$$... :roll: :lol:

3 out of 4 of my boats don't need registration(Rowed..unless I use a motor on my livingstons on Lake Crescent..ONP federal park :roll: ) ..the 4th has been buried in the back garage for 10 years..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 29, 2012 11:08 am

I have a heavy elastic cord loop thru a hollow plastic handle at the front and back of my kayak.

I hold the canoe by the handle to pull it.

I made my own Kayak Kaddy. I used a rubber bumper Vee seen at dockside, purchased at a marine hardware, a rod for an axle, the wheels were held on with a clevis pin, on either side of each wheel, thru a drilled hole. It is sturdy enough.

I selected the wheels for height. I selected the axle for width.

That one you made looks just right for that big canoe.

Have you put it on the water?

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Looks nice and handy to have all the parts in the crate for storage.

Once the conoe has arrived at the waters edge what do you do with the cart?

It would be nice to be able to take it along for portaging. Any plans to do that? Boundry Waters up in MN are nice for portaging in to some nice lakes.

Thanks for getting my brain back into geat to get my cart done. Using a metal hand truck seems like it will be on the heavy side. I may go back to the golf bag cart wheels and modify it into something.

Thanks for doing the instructional video. Looks sturdy under the conoe. Nicely done!!!! :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 am

Connie, I plan on making handles as you mentioned. Right now I'm in Arkansas on a fishing adventure. ;) Zelph, the plan is to take the cart on the canoe and use it to hold two rods while trolling ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Connie, I plan on making handles as you mentioned. Right now I'm in Arkansas on a fishing adventure. ;) Zelph, the plan is to take the cart on the canoe and use it to hold two rods while trolling ;)

I like dual purpose :D Good thinking!

good luck on your fishing adventure. Be sure to eat lots of fish at noon and evening meals. Get your fish skinner working overtime :lol:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Water-Hiking”