Jacks' River Trip (6/16-6/17/12)

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
JBRanger

Jacks' River Trip (6/16-6/17/12)

Postby JBRanger » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:11 pm

I've been wanting to get up to Jack's River for 3 years now. This weekend I was able to make it work out time wise. I met my friend at 5 AM to head to the trail. We got there about 8 AM and headed out.

The trail was gorgeous. Very wide for the most part. It follows the river all the way for 10 miles or so (not confirmed, but was definitely somewhere between 7-10 miles) all the way to the falls.
ImageImageImageImage

However, then we reached the first of 24 water crossings! Most were easy. Some were NOT. The blazes disappeared and finding the other side of the trail at times was VERY difficult. Numerous times we just walked along IN the river til we could see a trail up on the bank.

We stopped numerous times to try our hand at fishing. I saw MANY trout but could not get them to even pay attention to my lure. However, I did catch 2 small fish.

This is Jack's River waterfall. I didn't get the really good picture of the larger falls. But you can sort of make out how high they were.
ImageImage

We then backtracked a few miles (due to not be allowed to camp a mile or so within the falls area) and made camp. I'm happy to report all my gear worked well. The hammock was very comfortable, the underquilt was warm although (intentionally) too short. This caused my feet to get chilly. I eventually got my blue pad under my feet and all was well.

This was the first REAL field use of the Zelph Woodgaz. Everything was wet from the previous night's rain. However after some "persuasion", I was able to get a good fire going and boil water for my meal. It burned as expected and nothing was left but ash.

The night was uneventful and woke up to the sound of the river as it rushed by. :D Glorious! The next morning we wanted to see how quickly we could make it back so I didn't get many pics. However, we did see a family of otters playing in the water. That was really a treat!

All in all, a fantastic trip! I can't wait to go back!

zelph

Re: Jacks' River Trip (6/16-6/17/12)

Postby zelph » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:41 pm

All in all, a fantastic trip! I can't wait to go back!

Wow!!! that's for sure :D Beautiful photos. Black eyed susan flower. Don't know the other. Fish is a large eyed small mouth rock bass :lol: What kind of fish????? Nice flames on the stove :mrgreen: Glad it works for you. ;)

Sign at trail head says "for day use only" :? :? did I read it right?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:55 am

The day use only was for the falls area. No camping is permitted within a mile or so of the falls area on either side.

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:35 am

Nice Trip! It was awesome weather this weekend down here. I can only imagine how nice it was up there.
I think thats a shoal bass. Love the Cohutta. there are some big pigs there..

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Ok, big eyed shoal bass. I would have eaten it :o

All that walking in water makes my feet think wrinkle :lol:

Pigs, like in "boar"? Like in wild boar? :mrgreen: I suspect you have to have something like a "boar bag" :o

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 am

You know I didn't hear about teh pigs til after our trip. I'd have been more concerned then. We did find some er um, "droppings" VERY near camp. Was very large whatever it was. Made me think it was from a bear. Which very well could have been.

Oh well. We still had a blast though.

Yea, the plan was to just fish at camp but we fished along the way. I also fished when I got to camp but couldn't get them to bite. If I'd have caught one there we were prepared to cook it. Maybe next time.

Next time I do that trip, I'll take a collapsible spinner with a fly setup, or even better if I could get a Tenkara setup. :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:15 am

Next time I do that trip, I'll take a collapsible spinner with a fly setup, or even better if I could get a Tenkara setup.

Take your time, look for the china knock-offs :mrgreen: save big bucks. Just kidding, buy American ;)

Better yet, make your own :o

Return to “Water-Hiking”