Ancient Water Hiking

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
zelph

Ancient Water Hiking

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:11 pm

We've been doing water hiking for many many years :o

http://archaeology.about.com/od/dterms/ ... Canoes.htm

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Mark Spencer

Re: Ancient Water Hiking

Postby Mark Spencer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 am

What type of boat you have been using in Water Hiking? Light boats vs Heavy weight boats what are best and recommended for best water hiking?
NTEP Scales

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 am

Kayak watercraft are the most popular for lightweight hiking. Too many choices out there to be specific. Raftpacking is becoming popular. What brand do you use in the UK?

russb

Postby russb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 am

In the Adirondacks, kayaks are very popular for recreational use in more open water. For deeper backcountry, the canoe is king.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:13 pm

russb wrote:In the Adirondacks, kayaks are very popular for recreational use in more open water. For deeper backcountry, the canoe is king.

I was thinking of Daren and his ocean going kayak adventures up in British Columbia.

What is the major reason the canoe is king?

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon May 25, 2015 9:28 am

For a long "water-hike" the open canoe will transport more food and gear. If you use waterproof bags or barrels, well secured, or, lash down a water-tight cover, the canoe is superior in every way.

My family had an Old Town Trapper wood and canvas canoe, in Michigan, I learned to paddle well: there is more to controlling a canoe than one might suppose. We had it on our family vacations, fishing Lake Yellowstone at Yellowstone National Park and Lake MacDonald in Glacier National Park.

I have an Old Town Loon 138 river kayak. It packs only reasonably well, as it is smaller, and as a kayak is covered fore and aft. I use water-proof bags to protect my food and gear, as well as, provide flotation if overturned.

It could happen, it never has because a river kayak has more like a canoe hull. I use a "whitewater" double-end kayak paddle for control. I like to float a river, but, if no wind, I lake paddle in Glacier National Park. I have paddled Pray Lake and Two Medicine Lake, walking a painter line between the two lakes: my favorite. I have paddled Lake Bowman. I would like to have a camping permit for the far end of that lake.

I love the river kayak for overnight, which is about all I can find in Montana. I have heard The Swan is good: I haven't been there. I like to put in at Ford and float the North Fork of the Flathead River to Polebridge. I did float the upper reach of the Missouri River. Both have excellent food at the end of the float trip.

If you are where there is portage lake-to-lake, "check out" Maddy the Goose on YouTube. I like his video.

If I were doing coast-wise paddling in the Pacific Northwest, I would want to be ready for a well-performed "eskimo roll". I would have a sea-sock to help get the water out of the boat, if the hatch covers and sea-skirt failed to do so. The little pump is essential, but it is better to have it supplement a sea-sock.

I would have all that and all navigation and safety equipment for the Canadian San Juan Island and Charlotte Island group and know how to use it. I would not "rely" completely on a guide or a rented kayak. I lived in the Pacific Northwest. I sailed those waters. Me? I would not hire a guide, either. Personally, I figure there is no substitute for knowledge and experience I would get on less ambitious inland waterway out-and-back island hopping water-hiking adventures.

I think I would have the Seaward Navigator model kayak.

The smaller traditional kayak is made for navigating the ice floe, in the far North.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 25, 2015 10:53 am

Connie, you have had some really unique experiences and memories to go with them. I'm green with envy :mrgreen:

Three years ago I bought this canoe and have not yet got it into a waterway :roll: This year I'll do it!!!!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Great yard sale acquisition ! I have scored two canoes thru yard sales, neither as nice as yours but the last one is heavy duty aluminum so it is the keeper. Problem now is I blew the motor in my truck after installing roof racks to transport the canoe. Back to the drawing board for transporting it as Toyota Echo is a bit on the small side :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon May 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Get a small harbor freight utility trailer and bumper hitch. :o

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 26, 2015 10:06 pm

Actually, I just acquired a Dodge grand Caravan that belonged to my dad. It has side roof rails. I just need to install cross rails which I picked up a free pair of Yakima's at a yard sale but need to get keys made or new tumblers as each side has a key lock but no key
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Water-Hiking”