Backcountry kayak/canoe camping

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
left52side

Re: Backcountry kayak/canoe camping

Postby left52side » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Way back when...........my first electronics was the Lowrance Fish Locator aka Green Box. :o

I know I have one of them around here somewhere lmao.
I had it on display in my tiny home for A bit then when I did some remodeling I took it down,I will dig around and see if I cant find it somewhere ...
I dont use anything anymore,I had maps at one time but really the water is so shallow and clear with good eye wear you can see the fish tailing and just overall you get to know the area and the holes and oyster bars and little creeks and crevices like anyones home waters ...

left52side

Postby left52side » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Out tomorrow for another Florida summer overnight trip.
This time will hopefully get A bit of fishing in.
Im not bringing the kayak this time and only walking or should I say fording out to A couple of spots.
Will send pics on here tomorrow or Thursday.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:45 am

Lucky you :D

Flash flood Watch is in effect in my county for Thursday. Big storm moving in for tomorrow morning....bummer :(

Hope you hook into some good fighters.

I wonder how they teach dogs to like fish as a food up in Alaska when they do the Iditarod race. It was just a thought. You can catch a fish for your dogs evening meal :-)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

left52side

Postby left52side » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:56 am

Made it back early and got A few pretty decent pics of some dolphins really close to me.

left52side

Postby left52side » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:58 am

The couple of piucs look like I was catching the dolphin,but no I wasn't fishing for porpoise lol.
It is just p\the way I took the photo,I actually think when I was taking photos and video I didnt have A lure in the water.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:45 pm

Very nice photos, thank you. It's nice to see where you spend some leisure time :D I suspect the fishing stops once the porpoise are in the area. Fish scatter for high ground :mrgreen: Is that what happens?

Is the brushy area swampy/wet? Are there bull frogs in the area? I like frog legs. Big frog legs ;)

Are porpoise good to eat? Is fishing for them allowed? I'm a Midwesterner, know nothing about ocean fishing :(

left52side

Postby left52side » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Is the brushy area swampy/wet? Are there bull frogs in the area? I like frog legs. Big frog legs ;)

Are porpoise good to eat? Is fishing for them allowed? I'm a Midwesterner, know nothing about ocean fishing :(

It is wet when the tide is higher than average as it has been,then tends to go down.
I myself havent seen or heard many bull frogs out there I think due to the salt content of the water surrounding it.
And yes I agree frog legs are amazing sauted over the fire with A garlic butter sauce ooohhhboy.
Im not sure about eating porpoise ,I guess there was A stink about canned tuna at one time so im assuming similar...
Ocean fishing is great. I grew up bass and pan fishing but have made the adjustment nicely over the years.
I like to sight fish big tailing reds and schools of trout with light saltwater tackle.
Something special about casting A fake lure to A 30 inch tailing red in two feet of water and watching it blast on it.
Awww is it next week yet lol.

left52side

Postby left52side » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm

PS I uploaded A video on YT that shows the porpoise really close and playing about 8 minutes into the video.
https://youtu.be/FY33Hw7yumU

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Good video :D I got the impression that they may have been playing with a school of fish. Nice to be up close to big mammals. I didn't even give a thought about frogs and salt water duhhhh :mrgreen:

left52side

Postby left52side » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:36 pm

I thought at first they were feeding but they weren't following a typical round the school up and then unleash on them pattern that is typical with porpoises ...
They were more just swimming around playing it seemed. A few of them actually did the flipper thing where they danced on there tails and flapped there front flippers. It really was a cool site to see that many in one small area at the same time.

Return to “Water-Hiking”