Backcountry kayak/canoe camping

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
left52side

Backcountry kayak/canoe camping

Postby left52side » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:34 am

Cool that I found this section.
I live on the water here on florida's gulf coast and find myself in my yak paddling around fishing for tailing redfish and etc.
I will try to once A month get out for A overnight or two day trip at A few spots I have out there on high ground with good fishing holes not far from camp.
I also spend days out there doing random trash pickup from high tide wash up careless boaters etc.
Next time im out ill be sure and take some pictures from our amazing old florida coast.

zelph

Re: Backcountry kayak/canoe camping

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:59 am

That would be interesting to see. Do the Japanese glass fishing net floats ever wash up on the beaches?

Red fish taste great. a friend sent some from the Louisiana gulf coast. Cooked them on a DIY wood burner grill :D Left the skin with scales on one side towards the coals, seasoned with some Cajun seasonings whoooobuddy good tasting stuff :D

fish net floats
https://www.google.com/search?q=glass+f ... cQ_AUIBygC
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

left52side

Postby left52side » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:00 pm

I have never seen any of the Japanese fish nets wash up here yet.
There are plenty of other unique things that tent to wash up here though.
And yes on the redfish.
I like to lightly pan fry my mine and serve with cheddar cheese grits and cheddar cheese cream sauce.
Cooked on the grill is amazing as well with just A springle of gator rub on it and yeah OHHHHBUDDY

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Better batten down the hatches, tropical weather is a commin. No fishin till next week ;) Trash on the beaches will be washed up into your back yard.

Florida's Governor Declares State of Emergency As Tropical Storm Colin Approaches

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/ne ... pacts-news

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:17 pm

Good for you, helping clean the shoreline ;) I look forward to seeing some kayaking/camping/fishing pictures. Have you skewered your daily catch over your campfires bed of coals? Batten down the hatches :(
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

left52side

Postby left52side » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Im on the roof of my tiny home like lieutenant Dan screaming YOU CALL THIS A STORM FLORIDA !!!!!
Just been alot of rain here on the nature coast ,extremely high tides,our road is flooded in Homosassa but no damage yet... Knocks on wood.
I did close the restaurant today because of the weather.
Yes ridgerunner I have grilled my redfish on A bed of coals with A bit of gator sprinkle on it And some grits , BOY OH BOY....
At two back country camps here I keep A small grill grate at just for cooking the catch of the day.
Watched one of PARORAHHS videos on youtube and seen his DIY ultralight fordable grill.
Might look into something like that for the kayak trips.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:32 am

I googled PARORAHHS and got nothing :o

I did find gator sprinkle :mrgreen:

Gator Hammock Gator Sprinkle

An all natural rub seasoning from the folks in southern Florida. Great for anything grilled. This rub seasoning has lots of garlic, assorted Chile peppers and a secret spice blend.

Best used as a meat marinade or on fresh vegetables. Works wonders on baked potatoes, fish, burgers, chicken, ribs and steak!

Ingredients: Garlic, Salt, Other Spices, and Assorted Peppers.

There should be some fish stranded in the high water pools, easy catches. Time to grill some fish! :D
Attachments
gator sprinkle.JPG

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:50 pm

Left52side, what kind of kayak are you fishing from? I have a close friend that has 4 budget kayaks that he uses locally. I am debating weather to add a yak to my acquisitions and if I do, it would need to be an anglers kayak. I'm keeping an eye on craigslist locally for something in my low budget price range ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

left52side

Postby left52side » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Zelph yes the gator sprinkle is made in felda Florida(one stop light town).
It is close to ft myers which is south west florida .
And I tell you what ... they make some awesome spices and sauces.
If you can mailorder it I would strongly suggest it .
If you cannot mail order it let me know via pm and ill drop you A couple things in the mail.(it is available local here).
Ridgerunner I have two kayaks.
One is A single person canoe wenona model that is essentially A sit in the middle canow,all open on the top.It is made from fiberglass and is primarily my camping kayak as it can balance andhold some stuff in it.
My second kayak is an ocean kayak angler series sit on top.
It is my primary fishing kayak ,it is used for camping as well sometimes but only has minimal space as it is A sit on top, It has compression straps to secure stuff but is rather hard to balance the load with it.
I have several friends who use the standard local chain store brand kayaks that can be purchased for around 250.00 here new with paddle included and they really are fine kayaks IMHO.
I would certainly go with the 12 ft as opposed to the 10 ft. The extra two feet really does make A difference in balace and stability.
Also I think I would go with the sit on top as opposed to the sit in versions,they are alot more versatile in the long run.
I actually postponed my SUL trip this week to go spend A night on the water leaving tonight for some night fishing and pitching the tarp on some high ground and meeting brother in the morning for A day on the yak.
And yes zelph I am hoping to catch some reds still held up on the high waters grass beds that are over flooded feeding on the easy meals.
If all goes well ill post some pics here tomorrow.
Dan let me know about them spices,will mail you some beginning of next week buddy.

left52side

Postby left52side » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Also here is the page I was talking about for the myog grill.
PHARRAOH that is the name of there channel.
I forget what video he mentions the grill and shows it off.

Return to “Water-Hiking”