New Float...

Discuss water related activities. fishing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing.
Ridgerunner

New Float...

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:45 pm

I've been looking at fishing kayaks and I luckily found a tandem one on an auction site that handles overstocks, customer returns and damaged products. The fact that it has no maker or model on it must have scared bidders as I stole it. Lots of features and great reviews once I figured out what it was(Useful uh-tk181). I can't wait to get it in the water but the manufacturer did not stamp a hull number on it which creates more hassles in Ohio as I will have to haul it to one of just a handful of Division of Watercraft offices in the state to have it inspected as if it were a home made vessel. Once I get that, I can get it registered to be legal.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: New Float...

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Oops, I missed your post :oops:

Looks sharp, glad you got such a good deal on it. RG will be envious :lol:

Looks like a heavy one.....need a fishing partner to help load it. What does it weigh approx.?

What are round, black discs on the floor in front of seats?

What does the manufacture say about no number to ID it?

I just had problems getting a renewal sticker for my utility trailer. :roll: I had 3 trailers listed with the state at one time and that confused them at some point in time and got things mixed up :roll:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:33 pm

It is on the heavy side at 68 lbs. It is rated up to 450lbs The black disc are the hatch covers. One has a dry bag insert but the other one was missing. Plenty of storage room.
I called the customer service and they are aware of the hull ID problem and are working to remedy it on their fall kayaks. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:19 pm

The hull ID plate is probably an aluminum/stainless steel plate that is riveted/screwed on. Maybe they can/should send you one to affix to your water cruiser.

How deep are your hatches, deep enough for a minnow/leech bucket?

I'm searching for a DIY lake weed cutting device to cut a path for my canoe to access a backwater pond/lake adjacent to the Corps of engineers Campground I stayed at last year. going back there this fall with my canoe. Shore line is weed choked. Want to wheel my unit over to the bank and launch within easy walking distance from my rv. Going to stay the winter down there in Mississippi. Sold my snow blower in yard sale :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Finally got thru to the Watercraft Division. She told me that there are only 2 Useful brand kayaks registered in the entire state. The company has be made well aware that they are breaking federal law by not putting a hull ID on them. While they work out a resolution, I have an appt. next month for an inspection to get A number so I can register the yak.
I am guessing the depth of the hatch is around 6" give or take a bit.
A walk behind weed wacker should clear you a path to get you a path cut for your canoe ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Progress is slow but you'll be legal for fall fishing :kayak:

You and Stumpjumper going to christen it up at the cabin lake?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:01 pm

I doubt that we will take it. With me taking four of us up to the cabin, I may opt for a luggage container on top of the Caravan. There is a canoe and a small bass tender already up there. Fall colors should be coming in while we are up there.

left52side

Postby left52side » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:46 pm

wow very nice RR...
I love my yaks.(yes I have more than one lol)
That is a weird law for ohio.
here in florida we do not have to register anything that is not motor propelled.
you can buy A yak straight from the shelf and take it to the water right away.
If you use A trolling motor or some other motor you would have to register numbers for it.
Anyway very nice and im sure you will enjoy it.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks left52side! If I lived 20 miles west in Indiana, it would not need registered but because Ohio wants to keep better records for theft purposes, kayaks and canoes need registered. :x Uncle Sam getting more of our money :evil:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:01 pm

"Looks sharp, glad you got such a good deal on it. RG will be envious :lol:"
I've gotten rid of a couple of my smaller boats(8' and 10' livingstons. I still have the 13' one and the 10 foot okoume Don Hill driftboat I built..too buried to dig out of the garage.A kayak?.I guess I could use one at the other house but I just haven't really done anything "waterwise" except haul out a surfboard once this year.I just haven't had the time.I could use a surf kayak :roll: (easier on the knees than surfboards)..but doubt you'd find one in the midwest.
We only went for our second hike this year on Saturday..about 4 miles of pouring rain(8 Mile Creek)..and we didn't bother reaching our destination due to the conditions;slogging up a vertical "Sasquatch"(big steps and roots) made trail,views would have been fogged in,eating lunch in pouring rain..no thanks).The only other hike was to "Green Mountain Lookout"(google that in WA state)..about a 8.6 mile hike.My knees have just not been up to par for serious hiking lately.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Water-Hiking”