gelled alcohol fire starter

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
realityguy

Re: gelled alcohol fire starter

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:39 am

The Dollar Tree Store stuff is 62% ethyl alcohol and you could cook with it or heat water in a pinch but probably only in a simmer mode.I don't think you could boil water but maybe get the temperature up close(180F?).bear in mind that 4oz costs a buck..heet is cheaper but it would make a good emergency backup fuel and is dual purpose.

Just squirt some in an empty wedding favor tin or other small depression(or even a pile on a rock!) and light it..in a windless environment.You'll get heat..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: gelled alcohol fire starter

Postby zelph » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:21 pm

realityguy wrote:The Dollar Tree Store stuff is 62% ethyl alcohol and you could cook with it or heat water in a pinch but probably only in a simmer mode.I don't think you could boil water but maybe get the temperature up close(180F?).bear in mind that 4oz costs a buck..heet is cheaper but it would make a good emergency backup fuel and is dual purpose.

Just squirt some in an empty wedding favor tin or other small depression(or even a pile on a rock!) and light it..in a windless environment.You'll get heat..

I agree, great emergency heat. I once did some testing indoors and was able to boil 2 cups of water It just takes longer and there is a plus if you use the perfumed brands. There is a pleasant smell remaining at the end when all fuel is burned off :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”