Swiss Army Knives

Have you found a cool item at a retail outlet that's in everyone's backyard? Well let's hear about it.
Blazinator

Re: Swiss Army Knives

Postby Blazinator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:04 pm

Huh...I have no idea what that model is. I want a magnifying glass on mine too. ;) I think I will eventually get and "explorer" model. I havent taken my victorinox on any trails...because I just got it about 2 weeks ago lol. So far, I'm loving it. I think I'm going to pack it along with my mora next time I hit the trails.

(side note) My wife wants this recipe:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 am

That is one of my versions of the Mountain Man breakfast. I will send you a PM with the recipe. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:01 am

I located the thread with my version of this recipe and it is slightly different than the recipe I sent you. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=176&hilit=mountain+man+breakfast&start=20
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Blazinator

Postby Blazinator » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:27 am

Haha THANKS! I'm sure after eating that a few times we will cut our life span down a few years. :lol: But hey, It's how you live it, not how long right? :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB:

Albert Skye

Postby Albert Skye » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:48 am

The Victorinox Soldier is distinct from the more popular red-handled knives. It has solid aluminum handle scales, thicker blade(s), and a superior reamer. Victorinox makes variations of the Soldier which all share the "Alox" aluminum scales.

Presently, I'm using a Pioneer Harvester. The Alox reamer is an excellent tool which is essential for my purposes. I reserve the pruning blade (keeping it sharp) for fine work. I prefer to use a P-38 can opener (which actually works better than the VIctorinox tool). The screw driver, cap lifter tool is not so useful to me but I intend to regrind it to something approaching a chisel/gouge. I remain undecided about the saw; it makes the handle thicker and more comfortable and it only adds a few grams, but I have yet to realise it as essential.

I chose this tool because it's the most versatile/lightweight/compact solution I've found for my travel needs; a tool for making tools. Some changes I'd like to see: Older Soldier models have a hollow/tubular rivet at one end. I think tubular rivets should be used at both ends, enabling the knife to be easily lashed to another object. A Scandi grind blade would be welcome.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Older Soldier models have a hollow/tubular rivet at one end. I think tubular rivets should be used at both ends, enabling the knife to be easily lashed to another object.

Do you think that those hollow ones may have been a weak point in the design making it necessary to change?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Albert Skye

Postby Albert Skye » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:59 pm

zelph wrote:
Older Soldier models have a hollow/tubular rivet at one end. I think tubular rivets should be used at both ends, enabling the knife to be easily lashed to another object.

Do you think that those hollow ones may have been a weak point in the design making it necessary to change?

I think they're plenty strong enough; actually, they appear to be stronger than the rivets currently in use.

SAKwiki wrote:Alox Knives stamped with the year 92 and earlier have a hollow rivet on one end that a lanyard can be threaded through, or a removable Shakle or Bail can be inserted into it. Some knives stamped with the year 93, may also have the hollow rivet.

JasonIblier85

Postby JasonIblier85 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Classic SD, Red

2.25 in. closed length, with a red handle. Made in Switzerland.
Features:

* 2.25 in. Closed length
* Small blade
* Scissors
* Nail file with screwdriver tip
* Toothpick
* Tweezers
* Key ring
* Life time warranty

At that level, every goal is like a knife in the ribs.
swiss army knife

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:15 am

JasonIblier85 wrote:
* 2.25 in. Closed length
* Small blade
* Scissors
* Nail file with screwdriver tip
* Toothpick
* Tweezers
* Key ring
* Life time warranty

That's a really nice size. I've always been impressed how well the scissors cut when used right or left handed. High quality product.

Thank you Jason, welcome to bplite :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Jistuason

Postby Jistuason » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Nice review. IMO one feature of the Swiss Army knife that appeals to me are the tweezers believe it or not. They are flat at the tip and great for removing ticks etc. in the field or, at home with the kids.

Return to “Dime Store Diamonds”