"Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

"Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Awhile back my wife found a website that proved to be informative on the lighting of a fire in a Wood Burning Stove. We have a small burner that we use to supliment our heating in the winter time. We viewed a video on the site that was indeed interesting. It showed how to top lite a stack of wood with the use of newspaper rolled and tied into a knot. When I saw the technique I said to myself "ah Humbug". Time passed and one day recently my wife tried the method. She asked me to help her fold and tie the knots in the news papaer. She stacked some large pieces of wood in the "North - South direction (see video for explanation) she put the papers on top of the pile, lit them and low and be hold the wood caught on fire and progressed into a full fledged wood fire. I thought it was a fluke, lucky first try type of thing. Well, today she tried it again, all big chunks of wood, no small kindling, I'm sitting there thinking it ain't gonna work. Duhhhhh I was wrong, it worked again.

I had to get on the internet and find the site that had the video and share the info with the stovie community. We need to study what we see in the video and apply it to a small backpacking stove.

We have had discussions about the Garlington stove and how it is lit from the top and burns down. I've tried the stove and gave my findings here on bplite. SamH has reported on it also. There are photos also available.

The placement of logs in the video is important information. Let's apply what we learned about log placement to Twig placement and stove design for backpackers.

My first burn test at the Garlington stove was a success, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th were failures. It's a finicky design. Let's see if we can improve on it by applying what we learn from the Canadian Website. wwwwoodheat.org Click on the Efficient Wood Stove Operation in order to view the rolled paper, top lit technique.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Re: "Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Post by dlarson » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:01 pm

Interesting. I wondering about how the baffle works so I found this.
Wood stove baffle diagram.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:14 pm

dlarson wrote:Interesting. I wondering about how the baffle works so I found this.
Wood stove baffle diagram.
Nice find,shows the air currents that keep the glass clean. My burner is without all the bells and whistles.

Everyone should keep in mind that only one stove is being shown as an approved stove. Even though the site is a Not for profit site, there may be an influencing contributor behind the scenes. One that sells that particular stove. In our readings of the other not for profit sites that told us about the downdraft updraft all around the stove drafting :mrgreen: the guy that was initially responsible for the papers being submitted was the person that commercially marketed the "Sierra Zip" stove. Keep an open mind when reading the materials on the Woodheat.org site. and other sites.

My stove worked just fine for the 2 times the top lighting, paper rolling technique was tried.

Try to picture a gallon size can with a square door on the front of it. The twigs(thumb size laid East and West) small sheets of newspaper crumpled/rolled to be used as tinder. Just the basic stove made to see if the stove will light and burn well from the top down.

The one stove that I made with the "Spam" can cut into the side of the quart can might work also. When I can, I'll try the top lighting technique in it. Also there was a video I made of just balled up newspapers being used as fuel and showed being lit from the top and the flames working their way down. Just some things to think about.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I moved this one here today and read the thread over again and viewed the 3rd video at the link site. It shows the top lighting technique. We recently discussed top lit stoves so this thread comes just in the nick of time.

I need to apply this technique to the Garlington style stove that I made or any other wood burning stove for that matter.

Watch the lay of the wood in the video and make it so that your little wood stoves have the draft coming in from 2 sides only.

Efficient Wood Stove Operation

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:41 pm

zelph wrote:I moved this one here today and read the thread over again and viewed the 3rd video at the link site. It shows the top lighting technique. We recently discussed top lit stoves so this thread comes just in the nick of time.

I need to apply this technique to the Garlington style stove that I made or any other wood burning stove for that matter.

Watch the lay of the wood in the video and make it so that your little wood stoves have the draft coming in from 2 sides only.

I tried this method once this morning and had a good burn from top down. I need to tweek it and test again.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Update:

I added more holes to the stove and also a grate. I used the diagram submitted by Dlarson as a base source of info.

I used a 1 quart size container(denatured alcohol). I cut it in half, removed the bottom to gain access for punching the 1/2" holes.

I used 1/2" galvanized wire cloth as my grate.

I used large, dry twigs about 3/4" in diameter, split in half.

I used thin telephone book pages scrunched up and tied into a knot as described in the Canadian video.(they used newspaper)

I placed the wood length wise in the stove bottom to about 1" from the rim. I then placed a few knotted pieces of paper on top of the wood. I then filled the top of the stove with knotted paper and then place the top over the bottom of the stove. I lit the stove through the top hole. I had a very successful burn all the way down through the stove. Only ashes were left. At times the stove burned smokeless with a nice 6" flame coming out of the top hole. Most of the time it burned with campfire smelling smoke.......good stuff :mrgreen:

The fire was well contained, no ash coming out the top or side holes.

No timing was done, no water was boiled. This was the second attempt at a top lit, updraft, wood burner based on the Canadian video.

I'm confident that you will be able to have success in making one of these or a hybrid based on my findings. I post this so you can start your own. I will continue to experiment as time allows.
Attachments
New Website 072.jpg
New Website 075.jpg
New Website 073.jpg
New Website 076.jpg

Albert Skye

Post by Albert Skye » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks, good video! I'm impressed; our government did something useful!

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Albert Skye wrote:Thanks, good video! I'm impressed; our government did something useful!
I was skeptical of the top lit logs with newspaper. I had to try it in my home wood burning stove. It worked first time tried. Made a believer out of me. The idea stuck in the back of my mind until recently. When I can find the time I'll show you how I laid the twigs in the rectangular stove and then do a video of the burn.

kevenjoo

Post by kevenjoo » Tue May 11, 2010 11:21 am

zelph wrote:I moved this one here today and read the thread over again and viewed the 3rd video at the link site. It shows the top lighting technique. We recently discussed top lit stoves so this thread comes just in the nick of time.

I guess using this kind of method is effective. I just tried it this morning and I'm just so happy because it worked. This is what I was actually looking for.
Last edited by kevenjoo on Fri May 14, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Tue May 11, 2010 3:30 pm

I think the steel helps hold the heat, to provide the fine ashes.

I also think the small size is a contributing factor.

My concern with the titanium, is the titanium does not "hold" the heat and that is another reason for a small size, for me.

BTW, I am happy to see mention of small "twigs" and good wood fire. I have seen "twiggy fires" of bits of wood no bigger than described quickly make boiling water.

Nice website link. Good job, Canada!