"Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: "Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Post by zelph » Mon May 24, 2010 8:01 pm

kevenjoo wrote:[
I guess using this kind of method is effective. I just tried it this morning and I'm just so happy because it worked. This is what I was actually looking for.
That's great that you found this information helpful. I like sharing this type of stuff.

I did 2 tests this past weekend while camping. Same manner of filling the stove and lighting. It did not boil 2 cups of water. :(

I need to make a change on the exit hole at the top of the stove and shorten the top section also by at least 1 inch.

I'm impressed how the large pieces of twigs are being top lit with paper.

Progress is slow but good. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 am

I made two changes to the stove design. The top section is where the changes were made. I enlarged the top opening and shortened the height. I filled the bottom section with good sized pieces of twigs and the top section with 6 pieces of telephone book pages. I used 2 kitchen matches to light it at the top. The burning progressed well. Once it was fired up good I proceeded to do a video of in the burn mode. One load of fuel brought 2 cups of 70 degree water to a boil. I had to stop recording because I couldn't get the twist lock lid of my pot :roll: I had to go back into the garage and get a pair of leather gloves to twist it off. I think it was around 8 min to get the boil.

Notice the conical shape of the EZ-Fold windsreen. It's a mfg reject, the holes are at the top......oops :D

Watch the flames, ask questions.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Once I perfect this TLUD I'll write a paper on it and submit to the World Federation of Biomass Technology. I'll become world famous and then I can add a fan to it and sell it to the less developed countries. Market it here and get in line behind Reed and the others.. ;)

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:13 pm

Read my post.

Do you think we should have a "Liar Liar" section instead :?:

How about over at HF :?:

I use assisted technology, and so I have screenshots of a thread that boosted "sales" of another miracle product over there and then the thread disappeared, then reappeared with an explanation the thread was "moved".

Meanwhile, I have "before" and "after" "PM's" (personal messages) in the forums from the "major players".

Maybe I should "post" a "Liar Liar" section over there :?:

Oh I forgot, "administrative" help was required for all that heavy editing.

It could be a "Debunking Superlative Claims" section instead. That is more polite, so PC and less controversial. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:40 pm

I had to write it over and over. Before editing. After editing.

There was a thread reporting a breakthrough.

Another thread said: I'm a believer, started by a "cold sleeper" of some considerable reputation.

Then the thread reporting the breakthrough was heavily edited, and had no substance whatsoever. Meanwhile, the I'm a believer thread disappeared.

Next, the I'm a believer thread reappeared in a different section.

Meanwhile, a guy was so busy he couldn't send out an order, mine, he said in his PM to me he had them to sell. I specifically asked, are you in startup or do you have them to sell.

The best part, a thread appeared where he announced he was jobbing out two models (including mine) to another vendor in the forum. It is a reasonable belief, he didn't have that model and he had not, yet, even designed that model. It is a more reasonable belief the other vendor would design that model.

He got angry and cancelled my order, when in a different section I was asking questions in a different thread. I got vilified, cussed at (profanity removed, but not before I saw it), threats and I got "ripped".

Next, a new thread appeared: "first test".

Have the videos at the YouTube channel been pulled down, where he and another good pal claim great results?

First test?

The "before" and "after" PM's refer to the seller and, apparently, his cohort. It sure looks that way, lying to the last PM.

I guess he thought the I'm a believer thread had been permanently removed. Oh well.

I am having a real problem, now, with any credibility whatsoever coming from "over there". Not UK, or Europe, apologies for the song: Over There.

Not only that, we have the ubiquitous Buddy stove and temperature claims for sleeping warm from Minnesota that are in doubt, at least by me, because that guy make contradictory statements whilst "singing in the chorus" for another product, which makes me think a number of posters over there are poseurs.

Not to highjack a perfectly good thread about whether, or not, it is worthwhile to spend money on small double-wall backpacker wood stoves or keep the proven "hobo stove".

I hate that name: "hobo stove".

How about "the practical backpacker's stove" model, instead.

Single wall or double.

There remains the question: What about the BTU's claimed?
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:39 pm

ConnieD wrote:There remains the question: What about the BTU's claimed?
BTU potential is a function of the fuel being burned.
it is written in stone and is NOT FLEXABLE!
anyone who says they can get more BTU's out of a fuel than is phisically possible should be written up in "Urban Myths" forum.

personally, i'll stick with bottom lit up-draft wood burners. they just plain work better.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Do you think we should have a "Liar Liar" section instead :?:
Good old Bill Ballowe (white box stove)said to me on Whiteblaze, liar, liar, pants on fire :lol: :lol: Reminded me of a little kid beginning a temper tantrum :roll:

Let's make a "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" thread in memory of WBS/BB. :lol:

I've done testing on double wall and single wall stoves and know which one works best for me......the single wall comes out ahead on all counts.

1. Lighter

2. Easier to make.

3. Cost less to make.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:01 pm

I did a lot of wood burning last week while camping. I'm really getting good a top lighting a stove full of large pieces of limbs and twigs. I've been using various tinders to start the fires. I found some nice maple limbs that were totally dry. I was set for the entire week for fuel. I did not do any videos and only have one photo. The stove in the photo is a BushBuddy. Some time this fall I'll make an instructional video to show the process of gathering, cutting, splitting and stacking the tinder and fuel in a stove. I used the BB and the 1 quart denatured alcohol can stove as my test containers. I have a stainless steel wood burner in the works for a possible entry into my stove store for this fall. This is what size pieces I've been working with:
Attachments
new website 169.jpg

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:56 pm

I did a lot of wood burning last week while camping.

Believe me..we noticed! :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:35 am

:lol: How were you able to see me through the clouds of mosquitoes? :mrgreen: They really made being outside a PITA

I relaxed alot inside the screen tent and did some wood burning in there.............................got a little too smokey at times :mrgreen: