"Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: "Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Post by zelph » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:50 pm

I've been practicing with different wood these last few days. I have perfected the top light method for batch loading small quart size stoves. I'm working on a small stainless steel stove, single wall, weighs about 4 oz. plus or minus a gram or two :DB: easily boils 2 cups of water per batch.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Cant wait to see it. Is it a top lit style stove? That is pretty lightweight. As you know I am a big proponent of the single wall stainless steel. Even the thinnest gauge seems to be able to withstand many many burns.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/c ... 010048.mp4

Last edited by cadyak on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:21 am

cadyak wrote:Cant wait to see it. Is it a top lit style stove? That is pretty lightweight. As you know I am a big proponent of the single wall stainless steel. Even the thinnest gauge seems to be able to withstand many many burns.
The stove is an open top, no taper, just a straight wall container. I'm testing the strength of the stove as often as I can. I burn wood in it for 1/2 hour durations, let it cool down and test the welds on it, squeeze it like a roll of charmin toilet paper :lol: I'm trying different configurations on hole placement for the upper pot supporting surface. The fire box area is made of thin gauge, .002 stainless steel that has a high titanium content that provides high temperature resistance up to 2400 degrees. It's holding up very well.

:D It takes a big pile of cut up twigs/branches to feed a stove for 1/2 hour intervals. Once the stove has a hot bed of coals it consumes wood very quickly. In this very hot mode of burning there is no smoke that is visible.

My first experience with top lighting was with a "Garlington" style stove. I gave up on it because it was so finicky, easy to go out in the slightest breeze, left a lot of charcoal. My interest in top lighting was renewed when I had thoughts about what we learned from the Canadian stove company on the use of newspaper to top light wood burners used to supplement heating in our homes. I first applied the technique to a small, rectangular, quart size container and it "worked" and I've been experimenting with the method ever since. As you know, it's a lot of fun designing a stove, makes you think a lot :D

My recent tests have been under conditions of a nice breeze. At times having to use a wind screen to help the matches do their thing to light the stove. I've been using paper only in my initial testing. I have not used alcohol, mineral spirits etc. Have not tried vaselined cotton balls.........just "paper" It winds up that paper is a multi use item, think toilet paper :D I've been told that the pages of old Sears catalogs were used as toilet paper in the days of "out houses" aka "pit toilets" Hey!!! it's the "Green" way to incorporate something into camping/hiking activities.

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Does it take any longer to get started and to get good cooking heat out of a top lit set up? What are the benefits?
Is it a one loader? Mine could be but it burns so fast that to cram it completely full can overpower a small pot and lick up the sides. I like the fire to stay a mostly on the bottom of the pot.
I have burned a lot of fires in my old homemade double wall quart paint can stoves and usually lit them by starting the fire in the bottom and adding wood.
Ill bet lighting from the top would prevent the flame thrower effect since ALL of the wood is not burning at once like the fire mug.
I looked back at a march thread about single walled stoves and can concur with your observations about the flames at the top of a single wall behaving like a "gassifier"
I have been making my lower stoker/lighting hole a little smaller to help in the wind dept. the cup below is 16floz
and weighs 2.8oz with the base (1.8oz without).
I may try one of the larger ones with no hole and see if I can get it lit from the top using your method. This could result in a more manageable fire that could be tended less. I like that but I also kind of enjoy tending the fire. My grandmother always said the secret to being a good cook is to never leave your food. :D

Last edited by cadyak on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm

cadyak wrote:Does it take any longer to get started and to get good cooking heat out of a top lit set up? What are the benefits?
Is it a one loader?
No, not any longer to get started and getting up to a good flame to start cooking.

The size, dryness, tinder and how it's stacked is important in a "batch" load of wood. One batch is plenty to do 2 cups of water. I have not tried more than 2 cups in my testing. I'm perfecting the stove. When the stove is ready I'll post a video of what it looks like as it is top lit and burns through it's cycle.

Ryan Jordan of Backpackinglight.com summed it up very well when talking about the BushBuddy wood burning stove; PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

That holds true to all back packing stoves.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:41 pm

This is a video of a test after making an adjustment to the pot support height.

I have 100% success top lighting this stove with large pieces of fuel. I use paper only for tinder starter. I'll post photos of the fuel tomorrow. It takes 1/2 hour to upload a video to photobucket :roll:

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:53 am

Here are photos of the wood burned in the video. I'ts wild cherry, collected 3 days ago from a tree in the local forest preserve. The branch was hanging in a tree. Thin bark remained but I could see it had been hanging there for some time. The wood is thoroughly dry.

The stove I'm using is one of my prototypes, the same size as a Bushbuddy but only weighs 3.8 ounces. Made of stainless steel. Holds more fuel than the BB. Single wall.

The stove, and how the fuel is stacked in it determines the successful ignition of "top lighting"

Only paper is used to start the stove. No fatwood and no chemicals.

ImageImageImageImage

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 am

Hey cool!Looks like you found 50 cents in your firewood! :o <satire>
I hope you're counting the time it takes to find/process your wood for the stove in your overall burn time to heat water..;) <more satire>

satire ( ) n. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.
:roll: :lol:

Damn..now I have to look up "derision"... :cry:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:59 am

I hope you're counting the time it takes to find/process your wood for the stove in your overall burn time to heat water..;)
No way jose!!!!! I'm not going to waste my precious time on counting, I need all the time I can get for collecting and processing my fuel :mrgreen:

Notice the dual purpose fire starter :D

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:04 am

Notice the dual purpose fire starter :D
TP is even more multi-purpose than that... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy