"Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: "Wood Fires" Top Lighting Technique

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 pm

ConnieD wrote:What happened to the open screen like stove on the previous page?

I thought you were going to tell us it weighs practically nothing and it rolls up?
The idea of using the light weight foil came into my mind and I had to act on the idea before I lost it :mrgreen:
Yes, I need to get back on track, finish up the mesh single wall versus double wall thing. The fire box in the original design is made of the corrugated stainless steel. That accounts for the light weight of the mesh stove. I'm waiting for some material to come in so I can make up 3 of the mesh stoves so I can test 3 at a time and do a video of them.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:26 pm

I went through this thread and gathered up all the videos to put into one place for easy viewing. They are listed in chronological order.

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:51 pm

:D

I've been camping the last several days and had time to stop at home to check on the cat and my mail and make sure my house is still here. ;)

I've been burning lots of different types of wood and lighting all the tests by the top lighting technique. I've stacked vertical and horizontal. I've had only 2 tests fail on lighting because of wind blowing out the flames of the tinder. I immediately re kindled, lit and had success while fuel was still hot.

Here is one video for those that like to watch flames flikker and like to hunt turkey. I could have bagged one of these with a club if I had a mind to :lol:

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:20 pm

The stove burns great and very lightweight for a woodburner. Are the metal clips to move the burner, support a windscreen, hold the hardware cloth together, for decoration :lol: , ,etc? How much feed did you throw out there to get the birds to wonder into camp? :lol: They obviously have not been shot at and feel fairly safe in the park. ;) (except for Mr. Cayote :o )
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 pm

The clips are to hold a windscreen and hang your clothes up on tree branches. The springs are really tight on these little clamps. They are what we call "multi-purpose" The clips can also hold a cut closed to stop bleeding(in an emergency ;) )

The turkey come by every 2 days, same time......I can set my watch by their movements. :D During hunting season they will occupy all camp sites....no humans allowed :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll do a video in the next 2 days of the windscreen attached.

See ya'll in a few days, going back to the camp :o :D

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:49 pm

See ya'll in a few days, going back to the camp
Enjoy your time camping......it's great to get to the woods! ;) My next vacation will see two days of laying vinyl flooring and two days of laying carpet :roll: I might get to do some squirrel and dove hunting after the chores are done. ;) :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:05 pm

I'll be leaving wednesday morning for a 17 mile beach section hike with the wife(Oil City to Toleak to Third Beach..google) ..wood stove?..nope,taking an older GAZ canister stove..have too many canisters stacked up here,gotta use some up!..but we will have campfires on the beach..maybe make some smores or toast marshmellows... :mrgreen:
We figure a couple nights on the beach..then I'll have a couple days at the other house to mow the lawn..maybe a day hike at the top of Hurricane Ridge Sunday.. :roll: ...back on Monday.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
See ya'll in a few days, going back to the camp
Enjoy your time camping......it's great to get to the woods! ;) My next vacation will see two days of laying vinyl flooring and two days of laying carpet :roll: I might get to do some squirrel and dove hunting after the chores are done. ;) :lol:
i'm still haveing trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that youse guys have a hunting season for squirrels. they are considered vermin up here. always open season. same with rabbits. not many folks up here eat either of them. i'm not partial to squirrel, but i don't mind rabbit.

i was reading the current hunting regs for the area around the cabin. it seems that the powers that be have decided to make a season for the few wild turkeys that we have in the area. i think they should protect them for a few years and let the population grow. but what do i know?

RG;
have a good hike! take an alcohol stove as a back-up. the one and only GAZ stove i messed about with, i wouldn't trust.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:48 pm

The wife is going hiking with you, Cuz? I told you the new bike would pay dividends! ;) :lol: Daren, it has been years since I've been squirrel hunting but ran into an old hunting friend of mine that pretty much introduced me to a lot of differnt game hunting and his folks have a large lot of hardwoods and the invitation was extended. I'm looking forward to it and the dove hunt as well. That is guaranteed to cost me a box or so of shells! :lol: :lol: I told him we have 2 nesting pair in the pines in front of the house but they were off limits as I like to hear the cooing first thing in the morning. ;)

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 pm

Trust GAZ..we have firepits for backup on the beaches. ;)We might cook dinner on those also,breakfast with the stove before we hike during the days,coffee..depends on how lazy we get.. :lol: ..This one is like brand new..kinda like a globetrotter with the matching top and bottom pots..breaking it in..fires up and simmers nice.

Squirrels..I once trapped 32 of them in less than a month and let them go across the border... :lol: ...well..at least a few miles in that direction...They really fly nice out the window of a van from a hav-a-hart... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy