small wood stoves for "hunter's tents"

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
ConnieD

Re: small wood stoves for "hunter's tents"

Post by ConnieD » Wed May 26, 2010 6:33 pm

realityguy, A damper in a stove pipe would control the draw of the pipe better and maybe slow down the burn if the front damper won't tighten down enough to do so.I would think a damper in a stove pipe would be very susceptable to accumulating a large amount of soot and creosote and have to be continually removed and cleaned..a messy job in a tent!
...a "hunter's tent" or tipi "winter camp" depicted in post #1 doesn't stay up long enough for that much build-up.

I would think taking it down, and before putting it up would be the time to knock it against the ground to shake out build-up.

Were you thinking a stove-pipe brush? I have never done that, yet.

I guess, I burn clean burning wood: white smoke = moisture, then no smoke. I think, blue smoke is the polluter to stove-pipes. I only have had white smoke, then clear smoke.

Ordin Aryguy

Post by Ordin Aryguy » Wed May 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Small woodstoves can be done "on the cheap", but there'll probably be a price to be paid in durability and longevity of the stove itself... Unless of course you're DarrenN and can fabricate absolutely anything. Yep, still jealous.

This is what a buddy of mine and I have been playing with. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=882&start=20#p26113

As everyone has pointed out, when there's no thermal mass to retain heat the stove will require almost constant feeding. Even with the 12" diameter stove I built this winter, someone had to get up just about every two hours to re-fill the beast.

It's pretty cool getting the stove really pissed off, raging hot, in the middle of winter though. Sitting around in January in a t-shirt, in the Adirondacks, is pretty novel.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed May 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Ordin Aryguy, Nice link!

Read this thread: you might find some ideas.

Were you warm enough in the tent, then? t-shirt in the tent!?

Did you have to use "tons" of wood to keep feeding that wood stove every hour? No "adjustable" air-vent holes under the door? That isn't galvanized is it? You don't want to be around wood-hot fire galvanized steel. The tipi material held up okay with all the heat?

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 27, 2010 1:24 am

As everyone has pointed out, when there's no thermal mass to retain heat the stove will require almost constant feeding. Even with the 12" diameter stove I built this winter, someone had to get up just about every two hours to re-fill the beast.
Suggestions: redo the door. Make a hinged door with a 2" air adjusting hole in the middle of it. Apply fiberglass stove rope/seal around the door to make it as air tight as you can.

Place one large 3" log at the back of stove and one in the front. Face them parallel to the door. Put tinder and smaller pieces in between them. This arrangement should extend the burn rate time. Feed 1.5" pieces through the air hole?? :idea:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu May 27, 2010 5:39 am

...parallel to the door?

I thought the "North South" arrangement of the wood was from the door to the back, with the fire burning from front to back??

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 27, 2010 11:18 am

ConnieD wrote:...parallel to the door?

I thought the "North South" arrangement of the wood was from the door to the back, with the fire burning from front to back??
Yes it is. Stack them east-west for top lighting and a longer burn. (Canadian Gov.org video)

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu May 27, 2010 6:36 pm

link?

Ordin Aryguy

Post by Ordin Aryguy » Thu May 27, 2010 10:42 pm

zelph wrote:
Suggestions: redo the door. Make a hinged door with a 2" air adjusting hole in the middle of it. Apply fiberglass stove rope/seal around the door to make it as air tight as you can.

Place one large 3" log at the back of stove and one in the front. Face them parallel to the door. Put tinder and smaller pieces in between them. This arrangement should extend the burn rate time. Feed 1.5" pieces through the air hole?? :idea:

Thanks, Zelph. When the weather gets cooler again we'll give it a shot.

One thing that did seem to help was to burn cherry. That stuff is dense and will burn nearly twice as long as most of the other hardwoods around here.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 27, 2010 10:58 pm

ConnieD wrote:link?

Canadian Website. http://www.woodheat.org/videos.htm

Last one listed.

Ordin Aryguy, the cherry would be the wood of choice, I've never burned it. :o It's cooled off a bit today. I made a hot tea kettle :DB:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Fri May 28, 2010 12:20 am

Ordin Aryguy,

That is my experience. My mom said, look what was in the firewood: It was one short 4-5" diameter log of cherry.

I didn't know what she meant. Mom kept it back from going on the fire. Finally, she did say, we will put it on the fire at the end before we go to bed. She did. We were, all of us, warm all night, yet, we expected to be somewhat cold in the Black Hills early in the season for the campgrounds.

In the morning, mom turned up that short cherry log, it was still burning, not just red coals, it had white ash covered coals, red coals and flame. I don't know if other fruit wood, for example an apple tree will do this. I have seen a neglected orchard near here, with a few dead trees.

If it is wood density, there are old falling down walnut trees and chestnut trees all around here because there are so many walnut trees and chestnut trees living here.