small wood stoves for "hunter's tents"

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
ConnieD

Re: small wood stoves for "hunter's tents"

Post by ConnieD » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:43 am

DarenN,

It is really surprising that collapses down so small.

Is it stainless steel :?: What guage steel is it :?: What are the dimensions :?:

Has it been used, yet :?:

zelph,

They do... Google: ebay stainless steel shim stock

I think everyone thanks you for the "tip". Thank you.

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:21 pm

ConnieD wrote: It is really surprising that collapses down so small.
Is it stainless steel :?: What guage steel is it :?: What are the dimensions :?:
Has it been used, yet :?:
the only reason i made it to break down was for transport to the cabin by a small sea-plane.
yes. all stainless steel.
the top, bottom, and door are 18 gauge. the sides, front, and back are 20 gauge. pipe, roof-jack, and rain cap are 24 gauge.
11" wide x 12" tall x 14" deep. the weight of the entire package was 28 pounds.
i haven't heard whether it's been used or not.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:26 pm

DarenN,

I hope you find out soon. Ask how it burns.

It is a beautiful stove. I hope you are still going to make at least one more for zelph's contest.

I was at Woodcrafters store, today, in hopes of finding "coupling bolts" (the local terminology) and real brass hinges. One employee said he will contact his brother-in-law, in Japan, to see about stainless steel parts he has seen when he was there, just because he is interested. I was told to try Park Rose Hardware, on Sandy Blvd and Winks Hardware on Stark Street, in Portland, OR for a slot and interior "shelf" material.

One Woodcrafters man said these particular hardware stores have scrap and will cut it for you.

Kaufmann’s Streamborn fly fishing store man said a sculpture-artist has work at Canon Beach, OR I should see. It is leaping trout and leaping salmon in colored metal. Like I could purchase that. But he said, tell him about the smoker calculations.

I did find one "likely" part, today, in the Woodcrafter's catalogue, not the store, and I met new "good people" and had fun.

DIY is so involved.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:15 pm

ok here a tent stove to buy :lol: :lol: or someone can copy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =WDVW&rd=1
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:28 pm

oops56 wrote:ok here a tent stove to buy :lol: :lol: or someone can copy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =WDVW&rd=1
Civil War stuff always seem to draw in big prices. I have nothing from the civil war era. If I did, I would sell it :lol:

This one is the original Caldera Cone stove 8-)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ordin Aryguy

Post by Ordin Aryguy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:03 pm

ConnieD wrote:Ordin Aryguy, Nice link!

Read this thread: you might find some ideas.

Were you warm enough in the tent, then? t-shirt in the tent!?

Did you have to use "tons" of wood to keep feeding that wood stove every hour? No "adjustable" air-vent holes under the door? That isn't galvanized is it? You don't want to be around wood-hot fire galvanized steel. The tipi material held up okay with all the heat?

Sorry for not ansering your questions earlier...

Yes, it is galvanized. I can hear you gasping at the thought, but hear me out.

The vaporization termparture of zinc (the bad stuff in galvanize coating) is somewhere between 900 and 1000 degrees F. Stoves of this design just don't get that hot on the exterior surfaces. They shed their heat much too quickly with their low mass and high surface area. There is at least one commercial manufacturer of "tent stoves" that also uses galvanized metal.

The tent itself held up well to the heat, once the heat reflectors were added. Prior to that the walls nearest the stove got soft, but nowhere near the point of melting. Once the reflectors were in place, everything was great.

In this case, the door itself serves as the adjustable air hole. Not the greatest, or more adjustable, but simple and absolutely functional.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Thank you, Ordin.

Do you think you will get in this small wood stove's for "hunter's tents" contest :?:

You certainly have experience.

Oops56, Why don't you make one :?: Use modern materials, like stainless steel foil or titanium foil perhaps :)

The original Sibley tent was a tipi with a short center pole on a "tripod-like" stand. It has added upright walls.

Make all that with more lightweight materials.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Connie..forgot to mention my piano hinge is brass with a chrome plate..You can get it in stainless also but my band saw blades hate stainless for obvious reasons.I had a couple different sizes of piano hinge in my stock for making my cameras.Lowe's carries I think 3' pieces and also 12" ones maybe 6'..I think one of the sizes of the 3' ones ran about $8 and another $12 or something..Brass or chromed/brass...

One more thing..sexbolts..try Tacoma Screw(website)..they carry about everything,even stainless stock in sheets I think,threaded rod,sexbolts...
..and any tilt-up major office construction site near the finish stage..when they are hanging doors and door closers..Each "door closer" comes with a set of four 1/4-20 sexbolts with the female portion in aluminum(about 1-1/2" long and the male steel or stainless,usually flat slightly bevel head.Anybody hanging wood doors generally chuck them,need them only for exterior hollow fire doors..not needed!I'm sure they will GIVE you all you want..
www.Rockler.com has a lot of specialty hardware at $$ specialty prices.Stoneway Hardware in Seattle is where I buy specialty stuff like knurled knobs in brass,inserts,etc..cheaper than most other places.
http://stonewayhardware.com/ They may have sheets of stainless also..usually don't buy that...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ordin Aryguy

Post by Ordin Aryguy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:10 pm

ConnieD wrote:Thank you, Ordin.

Do you think you will get in this small wood stove's for "hunter's tents" contest :?:

Contest? No chance! Literally no chance.

Have you seen the work these folks do around here? :shock: Some of us are just hacks with handtools... That's me.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Won't the chrome bubble and break off chrome-plated brass :?:

Reading about the Sibley tent, led to reading about the "pyramid tent" used all over the world.

I am finding out great stuff, on this adventure into small wood stoves.