Steamer Basket Fire Pan

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
redoleary

Steamer Basket Fire Pan

Post by redoleary » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:13 pm

This isn't really a stove per se but I did boil water with it so it has some stove like attributes to it I guess. Its really sort of a work in progress, needs some refining to be truly useful on the trail but it has potential.... I think?

I'm kind'a fishing for input on a better pot support, or any improvement you can think of really.
Thanks for watching.

realityguy

Re: Steamer Basket Fire Pan

Post by realityguy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 pm

What might be nice is an expanding grill that has edges(or 4 folding prongs) that bend down to hold the steamer basket at any diameter or height above the fire..That way,one grill/potstand can be used for a variable fire size/height from a small one man "boil" fire to a larger fire size as you have.I'm wondering if one leaf was gone..would that work for fueling the fire through the hole it creates and still maintain a decent windscreen?Several posts and threads have been made with these on this site...look around and see what others have done with those..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

redoleary

Post by redoleary » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Good ideas, thanx for the tips. I look around for more threads on this site. Thanks again.

Good Luck
RED

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Here..try this one.. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4649

i think several people here have thought about those sometime in their past..including me. :lol: The weight factor seems to be the biggest problem with packing one...and everything you need to add to use one.I thought about 2-4 skinny bicycle spokes or something across the thing for a potstand...maybe bent with a couple inward hooks to catch the opposite-side holes.. :idea:
I like the variable size of the thing and the idea it folds into itself for a more compact size.It should be its own windscreen for the fire :roll: I haven't stolen one from the wife yet though for testing... :twisted:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

redoleary

Post by redoleary » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Cool. Thanks . I've made all kinds of small stoves, single wall and double wall paint and soup can varieties but I'm finding I'm starting to like a BIG fir, well, bigger fire. The chief issue with this thing is I suppose the weight. Though I suspect it is still lighter than my old white gas setup, but not as light as my Bushbuddy? In the mean time its fun to fiddle with.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 pm

redoleary wrote:Cool. Thanks . I've made all kinds of small stoves, single wall and double wall paint and soup can varieties but I'm finding I'm starting to like a BIG fir, well, bigger fire. The chief issue with this thing is I suppose the weight. Though I suspect it is still lighter than my old white gas setup, but not as light as my Bushbuddy? In the mean time its fun to fiddle with.
The steamer basket really works well and fits into a pot with ease. Makes for a nice containment for a campfire. The baskets are made well and should hold up well under rough conditions. Bushbuddies are really limited to amount of fuel they can hold and so need to be constantly fed twigs. Put too many in at one time and out the fire goes and smoke is everywhere. :D The steamer basket can be batch loaded and boil 2 cups with no problem.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

redoleary

Post by redoleary » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:34 am

[/quote]

The steamer basket really works well and fits into a pot with ease. Makes for a nice containment for a campfire. The baskets are made well and should hold up well under rough conditions. Bushbuddies are really limited to amount of fuel they can hold and so need to be constantly fed twigs. Put too many in at one time and out the fire goes and smoke is everywhere. :D The steamer basket can be batch loaded and boil 2 cups with no problem.[/quote]

I agree, I'm willing to take a small weight penalty for greater ease of use. The BB can take almost constant feeding if you are trying to bake something etc. The steamer basket I could burn large enough wood to keep some coals going in the bottom, (at least I think I could) and could leave it unattended for a min or two if needed.

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:55 am

I wonder how it would work to place 3/4" twigs all the way around the basket facing downward toward the bottom center. Placed tinder on top center and light. The fire should radiate outward. What do you think?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

redoleary

Post by redoleary » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:22 pm

"I wonder how it would work to place 3/4" twigs all the way around the basket facing downward toward the bottom center. Placed tinder on top center and light. The fire should radiate outward. What do you think?"

Thats a good idea, I'll have to try that next time I fire it up. Thanx.

RED