Top Lit FireMug

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
cadyak

Top Lit FireMug

Post by cadyak » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:17 pm

I finally got around to doing some testing on my large slotted stove 24 fl oz, wt. 4oz, using the Top Lit method with the new lower 1-1/2" potstand. i need to think of a better name for this component because it plays such a big part in the quality of the flame. "flame accelerator maybe? :D
I have done a number of tests without it and it works OK, but slower.
Today I used 4 cups of wellwater out of the spigot, and a 2 liter texsport anodized pot. I definitely put too much of the smallest kindling (1/8" and smaller) in and piled it a little high in the stove. I also did NOT need to add any wood after the spark. You willl notice the flame is a little robust for the first few minutes. :oops: lesson learned.
Water came to a boil at 7:30 from lighting and boiled a full 9+ mins. after

My plan was to make a few shorter videos during the burn to be less boring, but I was distracted by my dogs, so the first vid is 5:00.
I did a burn the night before with a little less kindling and got to boil at about 8 mins for 4 cups.
Overall I have been pretty impressed with lighting this particular stove from the top. It seems to produce a slightly more mellow flame and a little less smoke too.

zelph

Re: Top Lit FireMug

Post by zelph » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Overall I have been pretty impressed with lighting this particular stove from the top. It seems to produce a slightly more mellow flame and a little less smoke too.
I'm convince that top lighting is the only way to go :D ............ a lot less smoke is for sure.

White man make big fire, Native American make small fire(Dances with Wolves)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

once more from the top

Post by cadyak » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:36 am

Been testing out all sizes of Firemugs to see how well they fare lighting from the top.
It can add a couple of minutes to reach a boil, but it nearly doubles the period of time that it burns. In almost all of the tests with small water amounts,(in this case 2 cups) the boil comes before the wood is even halfway consumed. In this first video, the wood doesnt even start burning evenly until 3 minutes in (the sweet spot) and boils at 7:00. It was still burning hot enough to boil for a full ten min. after.
This stovebody weighs 1.8 oz and the mug is the 14 fl.oz. size. I am using a base for this burn (not reqd) which is nothing more than a quart paint lid.

I am experimenting with tinder sizes and materials at the moment in an effort to have a fire that is more quickly burning wood, not beeswax. I am using the equivalent of about 1/4 of a cotton ball and could probably go smaller when using dry wood. It actually is affected more by how high it is placed in the stove and if there is any wood placed on top of it.

one very short video at 9:45 to show what the middle part of the burn (sweet spot) :D looks like

This vid is of my newest style stove 14 fl oz. wt.=2.8 oz, after 16:00+ which shows the flames still igniting right at the top holes.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:44 pm

I can tell you will be hooked on top lighting. I'll be back again after a few days of camping to view the videos and comment. My wife is got me doing prep work for leaving to go camping. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:59 pm

already pretty much hooked. I have already incorporated some design changes and I am working on the final hole pattern for my newest stove to be optimized for top lighting. I was able to get a large quantity of these cups and they are some of the sturdiest ones I have run across.

Have a nice trip. I am going to try to get my kids out this weekend to the indian mounds and camp. It is the opening weekend of gun season in Ga, so we will be packing our orange for any rambling we may do.

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Very cool. How much are you going to offer these for?

Also, didn't realize you lived in GA. I have family in Albany and also do some work there from time to time.

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm

I havent really figured a price on them. I have given a lot of them away and have sold a few but they included a lot of extras so it was not a basic setup. (i.e. ti-windscreen, ti-stakes, alcohol stove included)
They are pretty labor intensive to make, but should last for many years. All of the 5 or 6 test stoves I use the most have had hundreds of fires burned in them with no deterioration at all. Some of the mugs themselves are more expensive than others. I have 10 kits made up and was about to do an experiment on fleabay with price.

I ended up back in my hometown of Albany after living all over.I am told that its boring here, but it has lots of country roads for cycling, Chickasawhatchee, and a decent public school system. I dont need much more than that. Let me know next time you get down this way.
Brent Driggers