Stainless Steel Kelly Kettle

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
ConnieD

Re: Stainless Steel Kelly Kettle

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 pm

burn your own cork!

Before this you had stainless steel sleeve in the chimney, and, a stainless steel cap you substituted for the cork.

Maybe it is time to make more?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:07 pm

ConnieD wrote:burn your own cork!

Before this you had stainless steel sleeve in the chimney, and, a stainless steel cap you substituted for the cork.

Maybe it is time to make more?

:lol: you heard that :lol: I thought her kettle was ready to place on the fire :roll:

The stainless steel cap was to reduce air flow, sortta like a damper. I can still use that to reduce flame output. I have some options :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:03 pm

It's nice to be able to put in one load of wood and let it go, no need to add and have leftovers/burning twigs falling out from the base section when the kettle is lifted off.

That's ONLY if you overload it like I do. :oops: There IS a learning curve here. I have the scars to prove it :lol: I DO like your method of using your woodburner inside the kettle an minimzing the mess in the fire bowl ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Tamerlin

Postby Tamerlin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Are you going to be making more of those round WoodGaz stoves? ;)
Rakesh Malik, Photographer/Owner
White Crane Photography, LLC
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

Support my Art for Clean Air fun raiser:
http://indiegogo.com/WhiteCraneClimb

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:46 pm

That's ONLY if you overload it like I do. :oops: There IS a learning curve here. I have the scars(and wear an eyepatch) to prove it :lol:
ARGH!

I saw a couple nice spiffy chrome deer whistles for you today,,but it doesn't sound like you're biking anymore, Cuz..
How soon are you gonna start thinning that herd again? :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:23 pm

realityguy wrote:
That's ONLY if you overload it like I do. :oops: There IS a learning curve here. I have the scars(and wear an eyepatch) to prove it :lol:
ARGH!

I saw a couple nice spiffy chrome deer whistles for you today,,but it doesn't sound like you're biking anymore, Cuz..
How soon are you gonna start thinning that herd again? :lol:

Saturday, my posse are coming over for a fishfry AND to get my steel horse road worthy again. The problem now is another snow storm came in today and the ground is covered. I already have a pack of chrome deer whistles and there will be one or two installed. I hope they actually work. I have also invested in some armor clothing. One can never be too cautious, don't ya know? ;) This hunting season, I think I will choose a different weapon for "harvesting" a deer. :idea: :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:38 am

You sure you want to ride again???? Make your wife feel better, sell the bike :o I know you didn't want to hear that!!!! :oops: It's just that I don't want to see you get hurt again. Call me worrywart :lol:

Look at the base of this aluminum kettle and compare it to the "trekker" base. Trekker base has straight walls. The Backcountry looks very tippy. What's your opinions?
Attachments
boilerwerks_backcountrykettle_lg.jpg

Tamerlin

Postby Tamerlin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 am

zelph wrote:You sure you want to ride again???? Make your wife feel better, sell the bike :o I know you didn't want to hear that!!!! :oops: It's just that I don't want to see you get hurt again. Call me worrywart :lol:

Look at the base of this aluminum kettle and compare it to the "trekker" base. Trekker base has straight walls. The Backcountry looks very tippy. What's your opinions?

Without seeing both in person, it's hard to say for sure, but Devin responded to the "why is the base so narrow" question on BPL.. he said it was to enable the base to nest into the cone to make it more compact for packing. He also said that he hasn't had any trouble with stability.

For me the jury's out... I did decide to take the plunge on the aluminum version of the Kelly Kettle "trekker" just to give the kettle thing a try, though; as far as I can tell, it's basically the same as the stainless, but half a pound lighter, and probably not as durable.

I don't think Devin's kettles are actually shipping yet, so I don't think any of the purchasers have had a chance to try them out. It probably won't be long though, it looks like his first batch will be heading out the door pretty soon.
Rakesh Malik, Photographer/Owner
White Crane Photography, LLC
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

Support my Art for Clean Air fun raiser:
http://indiegogo.com/WhiteCraneClimb

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:50 am

In this video I point out how the kettle has straight wall on it's base. You can see the wall of the kettle is inline with the base, no taper. The base fits flush under the kettle for storage. A simple design change has eliminated the taper that is seen in Devin's design. Using a pot on top of Devin's kettle will be risky but possible if someone wanted to.

Before purchasing the trekker I had it in my mind to eliminate it's base to make it lighter in weight. It's going to be one of my favorite kitchen items. I've always been a wood burner for my cooking needs and fun time ;) . Alcohol as my back-up.

My wife and I will be heading south at the end of this month to camp in the Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois, an area known as "American Bottoms" lots of interesting going on down there at that time...........flowers in blossom for beginners :D all three Kelly Kettles wil be joining us on our adventure :D

dollar for dollar, the stainless steel kettle is my choice. Kelly kettle makes the aluminum Trekker but I elected to wait for the stainless steel. I like durability. Over on Whiteblaze.net "JAK" said the base melted on his Kelly Kettle Trekker. That stuck in my mind as a weak point in a wood burning stove even though the kettle is a major heat sink to absorb heat away from it's base. Once the kettle is removed when water begins to boil the base is left with a mass of burning wood and hot coals. There a lots of videos on you tube that show burning wood faling to the outside of the base when the kettle is removed.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:38 pm

still experimenting with my new toys :D

I think I have the ideal base for both size kettle so I can eliminate their base fire pot. It's very thin stainless steel that I corrugated and formed to give sufficient air entry under the kettle. Did three test burns today and all went well. One load of wood in the burner boils 2 cups.

:/

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”