Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Zelph's "Batch Load Wood Burner" for tent

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:30 pm

Here is the first installment:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Looks good!Appears you should do your cooking over the batch bucket,directs the flame right where you need it most!I'll be curious to see what the "upper" vent will do for a real fire inside,out of the smaller burner.It might "top light" the entire wood pile..is that your plan?
It should hold some good size wood.It'll be interesting to see what a "boil time" you'll get with that.
Chimney support..most of these lighter stoves do get kind of top heavy with the stove pipe on..one of my concerns. :roll: Same problem possible with mine.However..the support portion of the tent should solve that problem(hmm..high winds?).Looks like you've got enough chimney for a tall tipi..is that your idea for a tent?

One more question..have you tried making popcorn over that? :lol: Seems like a natural! :mrgreen:

Okay..now we need statistics(height,weigh,measurements,34-24-3..err..never mind that part :o )...)

I wish I had your weather today..poured rain all day.. :cry:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:47 am

If you built up enough coals you might be able to bake something inside that stove too. Will you have a lower grate inside for the wood to sit on?

Can't wait to see a big fire in it (same for yours realityguy).
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 am

Nice stove Zelph. The Mrs. is looking for her holiday used newspaper tin though :oops: :lol: I like suddens idea of a lower shelf for the wood to sit on. Of course, then you might want a vent hole below the shelf. The flu pipe is tall enough for an 18' teepee(back burner project) :lol: How long are the sections? I'm guessing a "big" fire in the tin will turn the outside a different color even with the fiberglass. I want to watch you fill the entire stove with upright sticks to burn top down :lol: You might attach a wood peg to the door and door clasp but if you are needing a wood tent stove you need a pair of wool gloves anyway ;) I am guessing the door closes tight enough that it will not leak smoke even with a big fire. Will the support legs fit inside the stove?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:50 am

Isn't that side shelf of the stand for drying wet wood..or is that for warming your loaf of garlic bread? ;)
I see advantages of a larger stove as far as heat goes,longevity of fire,etc...,and a lot of stovepipe pieces would fit nicely inside.As RR asked..Does the stand fit inside?..just wondering.Appears it might,and pipe pieces around it.I think you might wanna extend your top cooking surface longer for your cookpot AND your pot of coffee...should be easy to do with a longer piece that doesn't weigh significantly more.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:04 pm

We have to keep in mind that we will be pulling our tent stove to our hunting site via a "pulk" http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expI ... 80&bih=570

It's nice to fit as mush as we can inside the stove but when it comes to the flu we can leave them long :D My stove needs a 2" flu :roll: the 2 foot long jets of flame shooting out the air inlet hole yesterday told me so :DBfire: sooooo pretty!!!! I still have facial hair :o luckily 8-)

I have to piece together another video of yesterdays testing. I put in a big load using the veggie strainer, lots of wood, lots of wood gas that needed more air to satisfy the stove. The fiberglass cloth is protecting the holiday scene on the container quite well. Makes for a nice touch around the holidays ;) Adding a 2" flu might change it's look though, it's going to burn hotter for sure.

Hoz had a good comment on the video. Add a hinged flap to cover a hole that your cook pot can sit on once the stove is drafting well. See the video for his comment.

I appreciate all the good ideas on how to improve the stove. I have intentions of using them. . It will be primarily for heating the air not cooking on. I'll be looking locally for a tent to use it in. I'll use the 6" wide fiberglass cloth where the flu exits thru the tent wall. It will be an "overlap" design that I think might work. My sewing machine with walking foot should be able to handle the stuff. I'll include a photo of the stuff soon. I made a folding stove with the stuff last year and is posted in the Stove Factory thread. I'll see if I can find it and bring a copy over here. found it!!!!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:17 pm

We have to keep in mind that we will be pulling our tent stove to our hunting site via a "pulk" http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expI ... 80&bih=570

Never mind about the harness,Cuz. Looks like Stumpjumper will be able to fit his tent inside his stove and the stove will ride nicely on the "pulk" :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

Never mind about the harness,Cuz. Looks like Stumpjumper will be able to fit his tent inside his stove and the stove will ride nicely on the "pulk" :lol:

The snowmobile will be a three seater to haul you guys in.

I had an idea....... :idea: Use a big ice fishing shelter as a tent. They're on runners, ready to pull :ugeek:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Zelph, How much fiberglass did it take to line the tin and did you use your stainless foil sheeting for the inside wall?

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:17 pm

you guys may have noticed a decided lack of tent stove posts from me.
anything i would have built would have been disqualified for use of tools, equipment, and processes unavailable to the average DIYer. i didn't even bother starting a stove. i have an idea for a small, round, S/S tent stove that i was going to build for the contest. but it will require a fair bit of tig welding; as well as some specialized forming equipment. i may still build it anyways.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”