Down Draft Gassifier Wood Burners

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
oops56

Re: Down Draft Gassifier Wood Burners

Postby oops56 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:31 pm

zelph wrote:This is a copy of the Inverted Downdraft Gassifier from woodgas.com: My first impression is this site is the originator of the Downdraft Wood Gassifier. Now were getting some where. Thank You samh. I'll study what was said on the site and see what I come up with.
]

I got on made like it but small no work good to small i think
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:44 pm

Here is one i made plus i had to test my new led lights for the camera needs a little more fine tuning

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:50 am

Oops, your lights work fine for close up but need more power for distance. Run a new line to the other end of your workshop and put in a porcelain fixture with pull chain for on and off. Use a clear 300 watt bulb in it. That'll light up that side real nice :D

These stoves are single wall made of riser liners that are ceramic no doubt. They use a very tight fitting air adjustment feature on the bottom of stove to control incoming air. The pile of wood is lit from the top and the fire has to work its way downward. The tinder used is very crucial in the fire starting process along with the control of incoming air. Too much air and it will probably blow the flames out.(similar to what happens in the start-up of a sierra Zipp stove) It is indicated that the stove takes an average 11 min. of start-up time before the pot can be put on.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:55 am

zelph wrote:Oops, your lights work fine for close up but need more power for distance. Run a new line to the other end of your workshop and put in a porcelain fixture with pull chain for on and off. Use a clear 300 watt bulb in it. That'll light up that side real nice :D
]

Yep put 2 or 3 them 300 watt then need no heater
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:59 am

Yep put 2 or 3 them 300 watt then need no heater

Now that is what we call "Dual Purpose" :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:38 pm

I added an addition diagram of the control valve used on these stoves. Keeping the three diagrams together for easy viewing. Notice the top diagram showing the flames going up the sides of the pot and none directly onto bottom of pot.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:04 pm

quadruple purpose you can get a tan, and keep your food warm too! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Here is the chart made from the resulting figures. You can see the line at 11 min. when the stove is ready to have the pot placed on it.

The globe Stove and the Vegetable Strainer stove and the Martha Stuart flour sifter stove had 2 cups boiled in less than 10 min. There are other single walled stoves that will do the same.

In the article the author states that the air for combustion comes from the bottom of the stove and rises upward. When you read the article it clearly states that the stove was named downdraft because the pile of wood burned from the top downward. Hard to do if air flow is not precise coming through the bottom and rising upward.

What you see in the above photos are stoves made of a thick walled "riser" sleeves. They are used in the Foundry industry to line the sprue hole when pouring molten cast iron and other metals. They are single walled stoves.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:25 am

I had a can of mixed veggies for lunch today so I could use the can to make the Garlington woodgas stove.

If you read the information given you will agree that there is no such thing as a down draft stove in the realm of backpacking wood burners. All the stoves that are being made are updraft stoves. To say they are downdraft is "Urban Legend" something made up by the guy named Reed.

The difference in this Garlington/Reed stove is this: you light the top of the pile of twigs by using some form of tinder and hope that it stays lit long enough to heat/gasify the twigs underneath. In most instances the makers of these stoves have used alcohol or kerosene as there tinder starter.

I'm going to make one to see how difficult they are to light and see how much heat is given off in one load of fuel.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Zelph I thought you might be interested in this post from Sgt. Rocks site. The links in the first post are very interesting. :mrgreen:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1946
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”