Down Draft Gassifier Wood Burners

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Down Draft Gassifier Wood Burners

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:09 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:Zelph I thought you might be interested in this post from Sgt. Rocks site. The links in the first post are very interesting. :mrgreen:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1946

Thanks Pure Mehem. Are u the same pure_mahem that i see posting there? My name is Incognito when i post on the Rock's site. It is there that I first started hearing talk about the inverted down draft wood burners. The guy that knows what he's talking about is Lanthar. I think thats where JAK got the idea about saving charcoal from a fire to use as tinder for your next fire(urban legend busted).

Garlintons stove is just a simple updraft stove that uses very small pieces of twig fuel and is ignited from the top of the pile.

This is the same as the Garlington only dif is holes on the bottom and dif material. :

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:19 pm

I am the same pure_mahem, as seen everywhere, lol! Except no imitations! You can usual tell me by my avatar except on WB there site wouldn't let me use it don't know why. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Pure Mahem wrote:I am the same pure_mahem, as seen everywhere, lol! Except no imitations! You can usual tell me by my avatar except on WB there site wouldn't let me use it don't know why. :mrgreen:

Here you go red head

Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:06 am

Pure Mahem wrote:I am the same pure_mahem, as seen everywhere, lol! Except no imitations! You can usual tell me by my avatar except on WB there site wouldn't let me use it don't know why. :mrgreen:

No avatar, don't know who you are :D

I'll have to re-read the thread on the dn drft wodgas burners to see your responses to see if you know what you're talking about :lol: :mrgreen:

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:11 am

I don't I just read the thread. Hope my avatar helps. Thanks Oops didn't realize it had to be in a thumbnail to get it up here. :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:13 am

Pure Mahem wrote:I don't I just read the thread. Hope my avatar helps. Thanks Oops didn't realize it had to be in a thumbnail to get it up here. :mrgreen:

Much better. A picture is worth a thousand words :D did you know I was incognito?

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:15 am

I always kept thinking that the posts sounded familiar but I wasn't sure who it was, Now I Know, LOL! :mrgreen:

bmike

Postby bmike » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:37 am

the interwebs is a funny thing. you can follow me around on hammock forums, whiteblaze, bplite, and bikeforums. then there are some email lists (mainly cycling). no wonder i don't get much done for work. ;)

so, pure and oops - we'll have to have a green mountain hammock and stove conference sometime in '08.

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:45 pm

We call that a yard Sale! LOL! :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Based on the article that Garlington wrote I used his design as a base for making a wood burning hobo stove.

I used a vegetable can same size as his and made four holes through the side at the base of the can using a church key style can opener. I used my dremel tool with an abrasive disc to cut 4, 1/4 inch slits in the upper portion of the can for the anullar air slits.

The movie is made up of 27 segments that were pieced together. When I loaded it up to Photobucket only half of it made it there. They may only allow a certain length of video. This one is 5 min long.

The burning process from start to finish took about 13 min. I used twigs taken from a tree branch that I trimmed from one of my trees in the spring. It was outside until I brought it into the greenhouse to do my test.

I used low odor mineral spirits to start the fire.

Tomorrow I will use the remaining wood that you see in the aluminum tray for test it again. The next test I will put on a pot of water to see if it will boil 2 cups and how long it takes.

Todays test was impressive. Very little smoke, burned hot enough to make me think that it would have boiled 2 cups.

This stove is your basic hobo stove. A can with holes in it, small twigs used as fuel and the fire is started at the top.

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”