Down Draft Gassifier Wood Burners

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Down Draft Gassifier Wood Burners

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 pm

On my second try at about two min. into the burn idecided to lift up the pot of water to let the fire build up a little because of the smoke and dirty sooty smoke making the pot black on its sides. Well the klutz factor kicked in and I spilled the pot of water onto the stove and into the aluminum tray that held all my twigs :mrgreen: :lol: I was'nt too thrilled about that!!!!!!!

Had to start from scratch. Went out and got another branch that looked like it had enough of fuel. Broke enough for two more tests.

Third try failed. Fire went out, still had burning embers, blew and blew on it to get ita goin but to no avail.

Fourth try failed also. Fire went out again. Had burning embers remain but still coul'nt revive the fire.

If you've read Garlingtons paper, you will remember him saying something like this: if the fire goes out don't spill more fuel onto it because of the danger of it blah blah blah. I have to go back and see exactly what he said. Point is this: it is difficult to keep the fire going. It was my beginners luck that got me the good first burn to do the movie.

In the above drawings made by Reed one of them shows the adjustable air control valve for his stove. It is a MUST that you be able to control the amount of air coming into the bottom of the stove to prevent the flames from being blown out. Once the fire is into about 1 min. of burn there is alot of heat being generated and is causing a large amount of air to naturally draft upwards causing air to be drawn from the lower holes and upper slots over the flames.

The lay of the twigs must also be of great importance to the sucess of the fire. In my first test I had taken my time to be sure the twigs were packed tight against each other. In the 3rd and 4th they probably were not packed as tight.

I'll try a few more times to see if I can get it to go :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Fifth Try
I did another test. I'm disappointed in the performance of this stove. Starting the fire on top of the can and expecting it to go downward is weird.

It took six min. of babying the stove to get it to a point where it looked like it would burn all the way down. It is then I was able to put the pot of water on. It took 23 min. for all the fuel to be consumed and it never boiled the water. Made a good deal of smoke. Never even got the tiny bubbles to appear on the bottom of the pot. The water got hot enough to make a hot drink and thats all.

For sure this stove will test your fire building skills :D

I'll give it one more try tomorrow.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:18 pm

I burned another can of wood today.

This time I used about 10ml of mineral spirits to get it started on an even all around burn on it's top layer of twigs. After about 2 min of burning it looked like it was ok to put the pot on. Now the pot was rock solid ice from a previous test. Temp in the greenhouse was 31 degrees(sun was shining for awhile today and raises the temp.) The flames burned strong all the way till the fuel was almost consumed which was 13 min. into the burn test. The ice melted and the temperature of the water got to 190 degrees and was staying at that temp while the red hot embers were glowing brightly. Maybe a boil could have been acheived if the water temp was at 70 degrees to start. :)

The stove consumed a full can of twigs in 13 min. and also 10ml of starter fuel.

Here is what Garlington says when he first starts to tell us of his stove design:

After about 2 months building & testing small woodstoves of various configurations, I stumbled on an easy to build, lightweight stove (3.5 - 4 oz) that will boil 1 quart of water and hold the boil for about 10 minutes, using only about 2 oz of wood as fuel. The stove is batch loaded, fun to use, and nearly smokeless when properly fired.

Now I have had a difficult time getting 2 cups to boil, how in the world does Garlington get a quart to boil? Is he pulling our chains and leading us to beleive in an Urban Legend? Is he stretching the truth here a little/lot?

What's your opinions of this stove so far? Any need for me to continue testing?

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:47 pm

does anyone know what the "gas wick" is?
could it possibly be something as simple as an open can, inverted so the closed bottom is at the top?

i might have a try at this using 5 or 6 inch diameter "b-vent" chimney pieces. i can scrounge them at work.
this wouldn't be UL, but it could send us in the right direction.

DarenN.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:19 am

DarenN wrote:does anyone know what the "gas wick" is?
could it possibly be something as simple as an open can, inverted so the closed bottom is at the top?

i might have a try at this using 5 or 6 inch diameter "b-vent" chimney pieces. i can scrounge them at work.
this wouldn't be UL, but it could send us in the right direction.

DarenN.......

I speculate it's at least two perforated cylinders as you see in the photo. The one in the background is from an Aladdin kerosene heater. Once heated up they act as a catalytic heater to ignite any and all gasses coming up through and around them.

Daren, give those "b-vent" peices a try, they just might work.

Image in the back is the generator from my alladin Heater.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:23 am

Zelph; i'll poke around in that corner of the shop tomorrow. see what i can find for b-vent.

DarenN........
Last edited by DarenN on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:25 am

DarenN wrote:Zelph; i'll poke around in that corner of the shop tomorrow.

which photo are you referring to?

DarenN........

While you were typing I inserted the photo to previous post. :)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:27 am

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:Zelph; i'll poke around in that corner of the shop tomorrow.

which photo are you referring to?

DarenN........

While you were typing I inserted the photo to previous post. :)

hehehe :lol:
and when the pic showed up i edited my post! :twisted:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:42 am

I came across a photo of the original stove they talked about. It was on a antique stove bulletin board. It was tall, at least 2 times the height of a Sierra Zip stove. I'll try to find it again when I can. It may have had the wick in it.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Zelph;
have you seen this one?
http://intotheborderlands.blogspot.com/ ... sited.html
looks pretty straight-forward.
DarenN.......

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”