Question

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
ridebks

Question

Post by ridebks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Has anyone thought of using a mailbox for a tent stove? They come in aluminum and steal and already have a door for loading wood. Add your hole in the front and back, then some pipe and Voila...tent stove! What'cha think?

realityguy

Re: Question

Post by realityguy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:44 pm

;) ..Sounds like a super idea and just the right size for one!!!.Can't get much easier than that and the price of those things is next to nothing!If a person needed a larger one..get the "country" size.. :o
Okay..now how many of us have checked our mail lately and didn't even see that idea? :roll:
Ridebks..make sure you post it when you get one together..excellent idea!I'm in the middle of making another one right now that...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:24 pm

ridebks wrote:Has anyone thought of using a mailbox for a tent stove? They come in aluminum and steal and already have a door for loading wood. Add your hole in the front and back, then some pipe and Voila...tent stove! What'cha think?
brilliant.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Okay..now how many of us have checked our mail lately and didn't even see that idea?
Mine is a doublewide plastic one with two paper slots underneath. When we had a metal one, the kids would go down the road at night with a baseball bat and destroy them. This is a molded one that goes all the way to the ground over a 4x4 post. It is not as easy to smash BUT I saw one that must of had one of Zelph's stoves lit in it and it was burnt and melted to a crisp. :x The police caught some of the delinquents and they had to replace anyones box that turned in a report including installation. Somebodies parents weren't happy! :D The metal mailbox is a great idea for a woodburner!
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Excellent idea :D My large rural box hinges from the side, 2 pivot points. It would be nice if the boxes had a continuous hinge on the door. Let's all google mailboxes and see if there are any stainless steel ones out there. ;)

Great idea "ridebks" thanks for stopping in and visiting. Stay a while, we like how you think :D I like your new tarp tent video. Are you going to give it a winter tryout?

Editted to say: show us a video of your DIY alcohol stove :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:20 pm

Found one in stainless. Comes with it's own chimney. Not sure of cost. :)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:23 pm

I like your new tarp tent video. Are you going to give it a winter tryout?
I must have missed your tarp tent video. :oops: Do you have a link?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:25 pm

This one for northern climates.

sudden

Post by sudden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:28 pm

I wish I could find a link describing the stand for this one. Might be a kelly kettle/ wood heater combo idea.
I hope you're going to build one and test it. If you get a good price you solved a problem for us folks without welders :)

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:58 pm

My box is a locking box about 18" high(x14x14?) with a top door that opens,mail drops, and a bottom locking one for us for retrieving the mail.Hmm..top could become an oven except when you open the door the food would fall into the fire below. :lol: It cost $100 so I wouldn't be saving much over making my own.. :roll:

Maybe that's why I didn't think of it..but I do have a new standard box in black somewhere in the garage unused in the box..other projects first..
Our neighbors wanted us all to go together and get one of those $800 locking multi-boxes that 10 people can go in on..but they insisted on sticking it in a darker area,farther down the road,and across from the driveway of a neighbor that has three teenage kids.. :shock: ..That's just asking for an $800 disaster!
We stuck ours at the end of our driveway under the streetlight.I think the mailman screwed up a truck mirror on ours but no major damage done 5 minutes with a pair of pliers couldn't fix.The neighbor's kids(and their friends) haven't hit the larger one yet but someone did come along in the dark and super-glued all their locks.. :lol: ..They had to replace them all...
Ours is right be hind a "stop-ahead" sign so they would have to go through that signpole with a bat before hitting ours..not possible..another reason I wanted it there!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy