Wood Burning Pots made clean

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Wood Burning Pots made clean

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:22 pm

I made a copy of a post from another thread to post it here for reference :D

If you cook over a wood fire your pot will eventually wind up yukky on it's sides and bottom.

By accident I found a product that cleans the soot and tar off with ease.

Use liquid Chaffing Fuel as the cleaning fluid. Pour some in a shallow paper plate, wrap the sides of the pot with paper towels, put the pot in and soak over night. (I only soaked the bottom overnight for this photo session) It only took one min. to clean the bottom from start to finish. Use a paint scraper instead of a single edge razor, I think it's workk better. The razor blade was too sharp and kinda dug into the metal and made some skid marks :lol: :lol:

Liquid Chaffing fuel can be purchased at many big box stores or restaurant supply stores like Gordon Food Supplies (GFS) It's used for warming trays of buffet food. Can be bought one at a time or by the case.

ImageImageImageImageImage This is how it looked after my recent 13 wood stove tests. YUKKY, but smelled good :mrgreen:

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Re: Wood Burning Pots made clean

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:48 am

I just put a copy of this thread here to remain as a "sticky" for future reference.

Handy to have around for cleaning seasoned pots.

Kerfwappie

Postby Kerfwappie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:37 pm

I just found out last night by "venturing", that acetone dissolves the smut almost instantly. I poured a little bit on the the pot bottom and noticed that it started cutting through it. I rubbed it all off in about 10 seconds with an old rag. Sure beats the SOS pad.
Eric

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:37 pm

ThANK YOU!!!! See what happens when we venture out and try different things. I'll have to use it on my pots when I return from camping on Sat.

acetone is power in a can :lol: I've burned it in a Cobalt stove, makes it "roar" :o I used 1/4 ounce at a time to be on the safe side :geek:

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

I would strongly recommend NOT using Acetone, this is the most explosive material out there! Besides it is VERY bad to breath, and is easlly absorbed through the skin. It's just really dangerous stuff.
"Flammability
The most hazardous quality of acetone is its extreme flammability. At temperatures greater than acetone's flash point of −20 °C (−4 °F), air mixtures of between 2.5% and 12.8% acetone, by volume, may explode or cause a flash fire. Vapors can flow along surfaces to distant ignition sources and flash back. Static discharge may also ignite acetone vapors.[19] It auto-ignites at 465 °C (869 °F)."
Here is a MSDS sheet on Acetone also.

I use oven or grill cleaner on my steel post, it should be fine on Titanium, but I am not sure about Aluminum. I just set them outside on the gril, spray the bottom and sides, let them sit for an hour or so and then rinse them off in the sink, warm water and a old scrub pad takes it all right off, no hard work. If their are some really bad areas, just repeat the process. The only issue I had was some of my pots had a copper clad bottom, the grill cleaner took this off also, to be fair it was a very thin coating, more fore looks them anything else.

Wolfman

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks Woolfman for your insite on the use acetone. Makes sense to stay away from the harsh stuff.

I've read that oven cleaner does a great job on getting the build up of creosote off. The length of time on aluminum has to be regulated I supose so as not to reduce the pot thickness ;)

Welcome to bplite and thanks for your first comment....good one :)

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:31 pm

+1 Wolfman

I know someone who had to use acetone for his job.

I gave him an organic vapors mask, approved by OSHA, to help protect his lungs, recommending the required CFM air turnover needed for his workspace. I am mentioning this, because acetone is really harsh.

He said his wife complains his hands were as rough. Imagine his lungs.

I like using the chafing fuel and paper towels, as suggested, in this thread. It works.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:15 pm

I've found that no matter what you use to clean your pot bottoms, it still requires some elbow grease to get them "near" clean ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Elbow grease always makes cooking taste better and more appreciated :mrgreen:

HolisticAdvocateUS

Postby HolisticAdvocateUS » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:58 am

As a young boy scout and first time participant of an overnight/weekend outing in the great outdoors, I was inducted into the fascinating activity of camp cookery clean up.
As one of the newest members I was taken by the hand and walked thru the essentials of cleaning up after a meal was consumed.
Burning up trash (and burning out cast iron skillets, then seasoning them before putting away) were just a couple of secrets I learned.
I also learned how to prepare the cookware before it was used in the fire so that when you cleaned up all you had to do was wipe the outside with a wet, soapy rag and the aluminum pots and pans would shine as if they were new.
Dried with a paper towel, that was then thrown in the fire, and they were ready to be put away.

What was that great secret that allowed this easy clean up?
A small container of dish soap.
If dish soap is applied to the bottom and sides of the aluminum cookware before it is used on the fire (or coals) there is no problem cleaning off the smoke and soot that stains it.
The soap creates a protective film that is easily wiped off after the cooking is over and before the cookware is put away.
Apply dish soap each time, before the cookware is used, and you will never have to work hard to get the "tools of the food" shinny again.

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”