Anyone use an ash vacuum?

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
stu03016

Anyone use an ash vacuum?

Post by stu03016 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:25 pm

I am considering investing in an ash vacuum. Has anyone else bought one and used one, what do you think and what do you recommend? I am so tired of having to use the bucket and shovel and get dusty ash everywhere, not to mention things smell from the ash. Any suggesions?

sudden

Re: Anyone use an ash vacuum?

Post by sudden » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:57 pm

I never used one called an ash vacuum. I think the filters for something like that would be very expensive since they would plug quickly. I used my shop vac when I cleaned my chimney but those were much bigger particles than ash. I just ran a long hose outside for anything that got by the filter.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:11 pm

We use a small extra vacuum(eureka mighty mite) for that and throw the bag away when we are done..<b>once a year</b>.That way we know we switched bags in that one also.. ;) I clean the chimney with the brush with everything closed..then lift the pipe for cleanout of the upper shelf,vacuum it, and shovel level the ash in the bottom,etc.The original instructions for our Sweet Home woodstove recommend leaving a bed of ash in the stove(and it helps protect the bottom firebricks from getting damaged)..so we do leave about 3/4 to 1".
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:49 am

I never knew there was a special vac for ash. I use a shovel, very slowly as I move it out of the stove and as I put it into the ash bucket that has a lid for transfering to the great outdoors :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Hmm..somebody on a hiking and wood stove building website that doesn't like ashes.. :roll: :lol: ..I'm not being mean..just "funning" with ya... ;)
I understand that it is a messy job..fortunately it doesn't need to be done too often.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:31 pm

I clean mine twice a year errr, my wife does, she's such a sweetie :D

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:43 pm

I clean the chimney(two stories) and the wife handles the stove portion other than playing with the pipe..Maybe why the ashes don't bother me... :mrgreen:
:lol:

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:47 pm

other than playing with the pipe
:lol: I know whar you mean :mrgreen:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:53 am

I once saw one that was a "shop vac" kept under the house or outside.

The places to attach the hose were placed around the house, one by the fireplace.

I have seen these systems advertised, at considerable expense.

My friends used a really big "shop vac".

I saved dragging around a vacuum cleaner and all the fine particulate dust went outdoors.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:32 pm

Well I can use an ash vacuum right now.. :roll: .I had to sweep off the roof so cleaned the chimney while I was at it.Mine takes 7-3' sections of rod to reach the stovetop.
One thing important about an ash vacuum is that it would have to be totally fireproof.Ashes can fire up a day later!A member of my family from Hawaii(who shall remain nameless..no,not the wife) cleaned out the fireplace they had the next day after the fire was in it..placed the ashes in a paper bag on the carpet next to the fireplace.At the dinner gathering we smelled something burning and discovered the top half of a paper grocery bag with a thin red line around it and a perfectly square pile of ashes where the bottom of the bag used to be...the red line moving up the bag's perimeter.Yep..he also had a nice rectangular meltdown of the carpet where the bag used to be..good thing we showed up! :lol: Another time he burned up a pair of gloves "drying them" on the surface of the wood stove.
Unfortunately..he succeeded in burning the house down(insured!) to the ground later cooking/smoking some huli-huli chicken inside an oak barrel on the back porch using a hibachi with the bottom burned out of it.The only thing left standing were the stairs because they had a piece of fireproof sheetrock under them.
Anyway..if you do set up some kind of ash catching system..keep that in mind..and never let misplaced Hawaiian people near wood fired appliances that heat a house or to cook unless it's a hibachi at a big sandy beach or in the imu in the middle of a large fireproof field.. :lol: