The Newb's stove

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
steamjam

The Newb's stove

Post by steamjam » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Hey Everyone,
The new guy here. Here is the wood stove I've built. It's made out of a 12oz Don Francisco's coffee tin and a Progresso soup tin which fits just right into the coffee can without trimming the coffee can.. It burns pretty close to smoke free and leaves nearly zero ash.

zelph

Re: The Newb's stove

Post by zelph » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Glad to have you here steamjam. :D

I like your stove design. That combination makes for a nice burning stove. I can picture in my mind it burning with very little smoke. My goto fuel for hikes is "twigs" :D Backup fuel is denatured alcohol. More bang there for my buck. HEET is ok but kinda wimpy on the btu's

What do you use for the pot support?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:09 pm

Nice job steamjam! Looks like a very functional burner. You just need a pot stand to make the stove complete ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Oh yeah... forgot the pot support.. :)

I use a salvaged pot support from a "utility" Diethylene fuel can stove.

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:24 pm

zelph wrote:Glad to have you here steamjam. :D

I like your stove design. That combination makes for a nice burning stove. I can picture in my mind it burning with very little smoke. My goto fuel for hikes is "twigs" :D Backup fuel is denatured alcohol. More bang there for my buck. HEET is ok but kinda wimpy on the btu's

What do you use for the pot support?
I also use an alcohol stove as a back up. In my case a trangia with a mojo pot stand.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:16 am

I use a salvaged pot support from a "utility" Diethylene fuel can stove.
Good choice for pot support. Saw one of those in my garage yesterday :D I need to do a good cleaning in my garage to weed out some unused stuff.

I sell a lot of "companion burners" for bushbuddy stoves. I guess it's because they're so inexpensive and you get a lot for your buck.

I get a cheap thrill when I get a nice clean burn from a wood stove :DB: :DBfire:

steamjam

Post by steamjam » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:38 am

here is the stove set at work. The pot is an old Coleman Peak I picked up from a 2nd hand store a few years ago.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Yes!!!!! that's what we like to see :mrgreen: flames coming up the sides of the pot....clean looking flames.. ;)

These little stoves are commonly called hobo stoves as you know :D Now!!!!........your photo is a "classic" collectors item. Yours is the very first photo that I have seen showing a hobo stove being used on the back end of a train kaboose along side a railroad track. :o

Tell us more about the photo location. Hobos are known to travel by train and sleep in shanty towns along the tracks. Your photo has character :D thanks for sharing it. :D