Why buy a wood burning stove?

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
cadyak

Re: Why buy a wood burning stove?

Post by cadyak » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 pm

"Just put the pot support on the ground and the burner inside and away you go.. "
I use my mesh potstands in the same manner for the starlyte. Especially with wider pots.

I gave my Kelly Kettle to my dad. I dont think he has ever used it. It does seem that a wider base wold make it a little more stable.

zelph

Re: Why buy a wood burning stove?

Post by zelph » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:56 pm

cadyak wrote:You have to love woodfires and all things that come with them. :D
Enough to deal with:
a little soot, a few extra minutes of preparation, wet wood, and a few nicks to the hands every once in a while. The skills that you learn from building a woodstove fire can help build a campfire in any conditions.

To me it seems silly to carry a wood stove (inherently larger, heavier than an alcohol stove) as a "back-up stove". Not that it matters a hoot but IF you are going to carry a woodstove, it makes more sense to think of it as your main stove and the smaller, lighter, more packable alcohol stove as your backup.

Picking up twigs during the day and snapping them to test for dryness familiarizes you with the wood in the area and to me is one of the more fun aspects of walking all day through a wooded area. In less than ideal wet weather conditions at the end of each day I end up with a small sack full of fuel (smaller than softball sized)
There are some very high dollar woodstoves out there and many of them work just fine. I suspect the the reason that many of them are sold is that folks just dont have the "love" :lol:
I will almost always make a campfire if it is legal at a camp. Some of my hiking partners have stated that it is a waste of energy and time (they call me the firemaster) but I notice that they will always end up warming themselves and hanging by the fire if there is one. :geek:

on top of Mt Sterling. 18deg F at dusk and snowing...
All we need to do is place the kettle(without the base) next to a nice campfire like the one in the photo. Easy peasy :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/