Carbon Fiber Does Not A Good Chimney Make

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
DaddyMnM

Carbon Fiber Does Not A Good Chimney Make

Postby DaddyMnM » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:19 am

I've been watching some YouTube videos on an experimental fireplace for a tent. It uses carbon fiber for the firebox and chimney. I'll provide the latest video link. Several more precede it if you find it interesting.

It was an interesting idea and the build was fun to watch; But the porous fiber chimney seems to encourage hot wood gas fire in the chimney. That's not a good thing ...

zelph

Re: Carbon Fiber Does Not A Good Chimney Make

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:59 pm

That is quite a set-up he has put together to test the carbon fiber cloth. I'm going to check to see if he has any follow up videos.

I used the cloth under a small wood stove the size of a quart can. Cloth was under the grate which was 1/2" above it. One burn caused the felt to really become disfigured/melted.

Plumbers Cloth that is sold in big box stores is much better quality than the stuff used for welders blanket use. Welders stuff is what I used and looks like the stuff used in the video.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Sun May 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Carbon fiber is never used on steam engine fireboxes because its so porous that air easily passes though the fiber and shrinks the material.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 pm

The stuff makes for poor quality wicking material. It's being used in stoves but I suspect it's marginal. I've tested it and found it to be substandard for my stoves.

Some are using it as windscreen material. Anyone use it for that purpose? Looks too flimsy for a windscreen.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”