Question for Cadyak re: StumpRock

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
campcrafter

Question for Cadyak re: StumpRock

Post by campcrafter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:49 am

On the FireMug Stump / The rock stove how many and what size hole are you drilling at top and bottom.

I found the mug at wallymarts and drilled some holes and seemd to work nice with the few twigs i used - but want to make sure I am getting the best burn possible.

Thanks for the awesome stove design and for any other suggestions.
This is only my second WB stove to build.

Blue Skies!
ron

zelph

Re: Question for Cadyak re: StumpRock

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi Ron, welcome to bplite. :D
Is this the stove you're referring to :

He sure does nice work!

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

campcrafter

Post by campcrafter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome

Yep

I found the mug at walmart And was actually able to drill holes with step bit from Harbor freight. Not that easy to start but one you get the hole started not too bad. I'm not sure how large I made the holes - just sort of eyeballed it from Cadyaks pics. I need to put the second row in the top still. My rows aren't as nice and straight as cadyaks. I also think I won't make a large side feed hole and just feed from top.

Also still have to make pot holder. I might use a crossbar pot holder since I can get scrap material for that from work.

I think this will be an awesome stove! :DP:

ron

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Drills and stainless steel are are not friendly to each other :mrgreen:

I have a Stumprock and love the way it drafts. He's got them fine tuned :D

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for the kind words about the stoves guys. :D Wood is good :geek:

I am out of town but it seems like I normally use 1/2" holes at the base and 1/4" at the top. I cant really remember the spacing but I divide the circumference into an evenly spaced pattern.

This cup makes a great stove. Look forward to seeing some pics of it in action. Top lighting is the best way to stretch your fuel out and and keep the fire off the upper reaches of your pot. Cheers
:D

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:33 pm

I went away from the staggered holes at the top in favor of a concentric row or pair of rows. The holes are spaced at 1/2"
If there isnt to much wind, or if you use a good windscreen you can see the flames igniting inside at the top holes as new oxygen is pulled in. This is the same effect that everyone loves to see when using a double walled stove. :geek:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Oh Yes! I love the wood gas igniting at the top holes with a single wall stove :D there are so many non believers out there I have to chuckle ;)