Ikea stove

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
brochaos

Ikea stove

Postby brochaos » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:44 pm

First post here! Like many of you, I grew up a pyro, and still am to this day. I love fire, lighters, firesteels, grills, campfires, fire pits, and pretty much anything else related to fire. I recently just made a 1qt paint can stove that turned out pretty well. But I really wanted to try out the Ikea Ordning stove. Finally had a chance to swing by and pick up a couple. Did a test burn last night with some crap wood split down to 6" by 1" pieces. Vertically loaded. Put 2 makeup remover circles on top, with a bit of vasoline, and then put a little bit of wood shavings on top of that. Had solid flames for about 20-25 minutes. Once the flames died out, I was still able to boil 2 cups of ~60* water in my grease pot. Enough talk though, lets look at the pics. Look at the blue flame in pic #4. No modifications to the stove.

2015-08-23 21.08.12.jpg
2015-08-23 21.08.26.jpg

2015-08-23 21.09.01.jpg
2015-08-23 21.21.04.jpg

2015-08-23 21.26.58.jpg

zelph

Re: Ikea stove

Postby zelph » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Vertical stacking and top lighting is the best of the best :D The Ikea has all the oxygen entering that you can ever want. :D You might want to cover up selected rows to prevent breezes from blowing sparks/embers around.

As long as the Ikea container stoves have been in existence, I've never made one :o

Nice photos "brochaos" we thank you for sharing with us. Glad you came in and said hello with the eye candy :mrgreen: stove photos are eye candy... :o :D

What do you use for a pot support?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

brochaos

Postby brochaos » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:35 am

Hey Zelph! I was a little late to the alky stove game. Just picked up a modified starlyte and a fancee feast a few weeks back (hope you got the mixed up starlyte back). With the Ikea stove, I actually just put the pot right on top since the flames were already out. Otherwise, I'm planning on using tent stakes through the holes as a pot stand. One thing I forgot to mention is that I had the stove propped up on a little bit of folded hardware mesh, to get it off the ground and let the holes on the bottom do their job. Is there an Ikea near where you live? I feel like every store I walk through now, all I'm doing is analyzing random objects for their ability to be used as a stove :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:12 am

I feel like every store I walk through now, all I'm doing is analyzing random objects for their ability to be used as a stove :D

:lol: welcome to "stove builders syndrome" you definitely got the symptoms :mrgreen:

The Ikea has so many holes, I don't think you don't need to lift it up ;)

Bed Bath and Beyond has the canisters.

Right now my mind is gravitating towards making a DIY Firefly lantern. I purchased some parts for it yesterday. Once they arrive I have to design around it. Yes, I'm addicted to stove designing :P

Sometime in the future, consider using the large starlyte type alcohol burner...the "Companion Burner" for use in wood burning stoves. Safe, fuel does not spill out.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/companion- ... hbuddy.php
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”