Woodburning Rocket Barrel Heater

Here's the place you can post your favorite wood burning stove and also information on how to build and where to get supplies.
zelph

Re: Mini Dryer Drum Fire Burner/Stove/Grill

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:14 pm

You sure lucked out to find a "mini drum". What's it sitting on top of? 5-6 years ago while driving thru a small town I spied a flat bed utility trailer piled high with scrap metal. One of the pieces was a large stainless washer/dryer drum. I was tempted to try and locate the owner so I could make a purchase. My wife told me to get serious and to keep driving :lol:

Nice photos, thank you!!! I have a stainless inner working of a cream separator that I burn wood in on occasion. It has holes in the bottom only..I think :? been a year or two since I've seen it :lol: I got too much stuff :oops:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:30 pm

We have be using the washing machine drums for 30+ years for our camp fires. They keep it contained while at the same time allowing oxygen to the fire. Speaking of stainless steel drums, I just so happened to replace our front load washer a few weeks ago and completely disassemble the old one so the garbage man will pick it up a few pieces at a time. Of course, I had my eye on that ss barrel from the get go :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Welll.....I'll have to check to see how well our front loader is running now a days :lol: If I remember right, wash machine and dryer are porcelain coated, bummer :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:04 pm

The porcelain coated ones last a long time. Here is stumpjumpers burn barrel that sit by our garden :D
This barrel we took on our bow hunting trips....
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:46 pm

They make really nice burners and grills. Look cool at night with the thousands of holes lit up. Porcelain is nice but stainless turns nice colors :mrgreen:

Nice stone tools you got there on the stump. :D Stumpjumper find those?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Look closely at those tools; you may recognize one of them ;)
The barrels do look nice at night. I had one that had a lead weighted top ring that would start glowing red after hours of wood burning.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:08 pm

I picked it up the other day :D I found a site down in central Illinois via Google Earth. Farm field has 10-15 stone circles in it. Looks interesting, might be a place to find some points and celts etc. I'm heading down that way 1st week of April to check it out.

Nice warm looking fire...thanks for the photos....been in the minus digits here...bummer :cry:

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:12 pm

zelph wrote:I picked it up the other day :D I found a site down in central Illinois via Google Earth. Farm field has 10-15 stone circles in it. Looks interesting, might be a place to find some points and celts etc. I'm heading down that way 1st week of April to check it out.

Nice warm looking fire...thanks for the photos....been in the minus digits here...bummer :cry:

How are you using google earth to find potential spots for artifacts????
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:50 pm

sudden wrote:
zelph wrote:I picked it up the other day :D I found a site down in central Illinois via Google Earth. Farm field has 10-15 stone circles in it. Looks interesting, might be a place to find some points and celts etc. I'm heading down that way 1st week of April to check it out.

Yes, I just started using it for surface searching about 2 months ago. It came about by accident. For the past 2 years I've used it to get a visual on terrain contours. It's like flying in an airplane at slow speed over a selected area. I use the + and - feature to get me to the height/angle I want to be at and then use my mouse to scoot the screen into a forward motion. I right click and hold on the mouse to nudge the screen into motion by moving the mouse in a forward motion. It an easy way to go for a simulated plane ride :D A couple of years ago I searched for and found a burial mound that I knew was in a certain area. It's a fabulous tool.

I'll search my files for a photo of the area that shows the rings I believe to be where a small village/camp was located.
Attachments
tipi circles 1.JPG

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:45 pm

zelph wrote:
sudden wrote:

Yes, I just started using it for surface searching about 2 months ago. It came about by accident. For the past 2 years I've used it to get a visual on terrain contours. It's like flying in an airplane at slow speed over a selected area. I use the + and - feature to get me to the height/angle I want to be at and then use my mouse to scoot the screen into a forward motion. I right click and hold on the mouse to nudge the screen into motion by moving the mouse in a forward motion. It an easy way to go for a simulated plane ride :D A couple of years ago I searched for and found a burial mound that I knew was in a certain area. It's a fabulous tool.

I'll search my files for a photo of the area that shows the rings I believe to be where a small village/camp was located.

Have you seen this site yet? It's not exactly what you are doing but it overlays old county maps on top of google earth. We use it for metal detecting trying to find the locations of old towns or buildings that no longer exist. The registration isn't perfect so you need to use the roads to estimate where something used to be.
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/ ... /Illinois/
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Return to “WOOD BURNING STOVES”