Hennessy Hammock deal

Discuss commercially made shelters.
irrationalsolutions

Hennessy Hammock deal

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:34 am

i just ordered a hennessy hammock tonight as my xmas present to myself. they have a special runnung now and i got the edpedition model for $149.95 with shipping. the deal is that right now they are also adding the scout model and two sets of their snake skins.

i have been looking at these for a while and i thought this was a good deal so i jumped on it. i hope you agree that its a good deal. if interested here is the link.

http://hennessyhammock.com/
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Re: Hennessy Hammock deal

Post by hoz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:00 am

My canoe tripping buddy swears by the Hennessy. He started using one on our Canadian trips where it's sometimes hard to pitch tents (Canadian Shield country).

On the Bloodvein River it was all set and when he climbed in one of the small trees fell over on him! (My buddy is..."robust"). Seems the root system was so shallow it couldn't support his weight.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:40 am

someone over at whiteblaze just posted something asking about the rain-fly for the hennessy hammock. does anyone know anything about it? is it really too small? what should i use?

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 am

the model i have is the Hyperlight Backpacker. and i don't find the fly too small. as a rain fly. if you plan on using the fly as a shelter for cooking or whatever, then yes, it would be too small. in that case HH has the Silnylon Hexfly that is quite a bit bigger and can be used in place of the standard rainfly. i bought one and it's a nice size tarp with very little weight penalty.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

hoz

Post by hoz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:04 am

Wait till yours arrives before buying anything else. I thot i read the flys had been modified somewhere along the line. The original flys were a little "stingy" but I think he made them bigger and changed the shape.

My buddy purchased a 10x12 sil-nylon tarp from Campmor and ties that over the top to add extra room for changing clothes in rainy weather, etc.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Nice purchase IRA!!!!

Are any of you able to sleep on your side in a hammock?

I need to sleep on my side. If you get yourself into the fetal position and lay on your side is it comfortable enough to fall asleep?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:28 pm

i have had no problem sleep on my side with the regular hammock i have so i hope it will not be a problem with the hennessy. it does take a min to figure out at first but after that its not a problem. they emailed me the packing list with the tracking number yesterday and it didnt have the scout model listed but it did say two expidition models so i dont know what they are sending now, but there are two hammocks being sent.

hoz

Post by hoz » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:52 pm

2 for the price of one????? WHAT A DEAL!!!

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:04 pm

The smaller rainfly that came with the Hennessy hammock was always one of the complaints you might hear about. Seems people were getting wet when there were rainstorms and winds. Hennessy made a larger rainfly after consumer feedback but does not include it with his systems last time I checked. I think he may have slightly enlarged the original rainfly. Hopefully, it will be to your liking.
I decided to go with a Speers hammock which has higher sides and comes with a 8 x 10 rainfly. I bought the precut DIY kit which sold for $99 and came with Ed Speers 'Hammock Camping' book. I am very pleased with the hammock and have thought of several improvements when I ever get around to making a new one.
Zelph, I have always slept on my stomach but found it very comfortable to sleep in the hammock on my side. Now, I sleep on my side all the time.
Stumpjumper bought a Hennessy Backpacker and somehow managed to flip it over twice in the middle of the night to where he was laying on the bug netting, looking at the ground :lol: :lol: :lol: . That was the last time he used it and sold it to one of our hiking buddies. I guess not everyone is cut out to be Hammock Hangers. :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:16 pm

funny thing. at home i always sleep on my side. in my hammock i sleep on my back. and i sleep MUCH better in the hammock than in a bed.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast