Hennessy Hammock deal

Discuss commercially made shelters.
Ridgerunner

Re: Hennessy Hammock deal

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:27 pm

DarenN wrote:funny thing. at home i always sleep on my side. in my hammock i sleep on my back. and i sleep MUCH better in the hammock than in a bed.

Daren.......

I agree, I also sleep much better in my hammock and I can sleep on my back or side in the hammock. In bed, it was always on the belly, which is not nearly as comfortable in the hammock but now, I sleep on my side in bed for the most part. Wierd, how that hammock has changed my sleeping habits! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:38 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
DarenN wrote:funny thing. at home i always sleep on my side. in my hammock i sleep on my back. and i sleep MUCH better in the hammock than in a bed.

Daren.......

I agree, I also sleep much better in my hammock and I can sleep on my back or side in the hammock. In bed, it was always on the belly, which is not nearly as comfortable in the hammock but now, I sleep on my side in bed for the most part. Wierd, how that hammock has changed my sleeping habits! :lol:

my hands always fall asleep in bed. i've never had the problem in the hammock.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:43 pm

my hands always fall asleep in bed.
I've gone thru spells of the same thing. Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. I had one wrist fixed after taking a splinter the size of half a pencil into the wrist that required surgery to remove. Doc took tare of the carpel tunnel while he was in there. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:49 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
I've gone thru spells of the same thing. Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. I had one wrist fixed after taking a splinter the size of half a pencil into the wrist that required surgery to remove. Doc took tare of the carpel tunnel while he was in there. ;)

almost 20 years ago i had both wrists done for CTS. as well as both elbows getting "ulnar nerve translocation". i was off work for nearly three years! :o

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:58 pm

DarenN wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:

almost 20 years ago i had both wrists done for CTS. as well as both elbows getting "ulnar nerve translocation". i was off work for nearly three years! :o

Dang Ditty, that Sucks! :( I bet you made use of your idle time working on your kayaks, tying flies, and making stoves :lol: How are your elbows now, 100% ?

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:09 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Dang Ditty, that Sucks! :( I bet you made use of your idle time working on your kayaks, tying flies, and making stoves :lol: How are your elbows now?

actually, in those days i didn't have those interests yet. i spent my time studying metal work and walking. i had a 250lb St. Bernard and we just walked the river banks back in Saskatoon. i couldn't carry a pack or paddle my canoe or cast a fishing rod for the walleye in the river. i kept occupied as best i could.

my elbows are fine. i still have some trouble with my hands if they get cold. you know that nerve in your elbow we call the "funny bone" and when you bump it it's anything but funny? well, mine are burried deep in the inside of my elbow. i have no "funny bone" :mrgreen:

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:27 pm

well i just thought about it and i forgot to let you know when they came in. i havent had a chance to hang them yet but they did sent me two expedition models.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:38 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:well i just thought about it and i forgot to let you know when they came in. i havent had a chance to hang them yet but they did sent me two expedition models.

great Deal IR ;) I hope you enjoy hangin' as much as I do !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:43 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
irrationalsolutions wrote:well i just thought about it and i forgot to let you know when they came in. i havent had a chance to hang them yet but they did sent me two expedition models.

great Deal IR ;) I hope you enjoy hangin' as much as I do !

swinging from the trees is great! kinda liberating. like de-evolution!! ;) :mrgreen:

HFinster

Post by HFinster » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:28 am

I couldn't resist the deal. I bought an ultralight backpacker which arrived earlier this week along with the free Scout. I tested both in a local park this morning. The UL backpacker is an amazing piece of engineering. The support lines are about an eight of an inch thick. It's hard to believe they'll hold the load but they do. The guy lines are even smaller. A very thin string. If you get a knot in one, you'll have fun getting it out. The stock 42 inch tree huggers aren't really long enough for anything much bigger than a lightpole sized tree. When I order my wife's hammock, I'm going to get some extra huggers too.

They say a good spacing for the trees is about what you'd measure by holding your trekking poles out at arms length. That's a little short. I couldn't tighten the fly as well as I'd like with them that close together. The inside isn't as roomy as most tents and of course, your freedom of movement is impaired as far as having an easy go of getting into your bag or changing clothes might go.

Those are the complaints. The up side was I had no trouble finding half a dozen good sites within a few feet of each other. I always hated looking for a good tent site in the woods in the dark. I never found a really good one actually. The hammock makes an excellent chair when you sit on the outside. That means my thermarest chair can stay home, saving over 10 oz. Inside, I was extremely comfortable lying down. I could never experience that on the ground in a tent with a pad. That's another savings. The pad can stay home, at least in summer. I think I'll have to bring it along in winter. It was 32 and without the pad, lying in the hammock was as cold on my back as sitting on a rock would have been.

Have fun with YOUR hammocks.

H